Name that plant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
should i be laughing? or is this not a joke?
or am i simply too naive for this
That is legitimate. Shops sell all sorts of plants for aquariums and half the plants are marsh/ garden plants that struggle or die when kept underwater.

A good way to tell if a plant is a true aquatic plant is to lift it out of water. True aquatic plants can't support their own weight when removed from water and collapse. Whereas marsh/ garden plants will stand upright when removed from water.

There are some marsh plants that do well underwater. Sword plants, Cryptocorynes, and some Hygrophila species are marsh plants that can live completely submerged in water.

Some true aquatic plants include Ambulia, Cabomba, Elodia, Hydrilla, Vallis.

That is legitimate. Shops sell all sorts of plants for aquariums and half the plants are marsh/ garden plants that struggle or die when kept underwater.

A good way to tell if a plant is a true aquatic plant is to lift it out of water. True aquatic plants can't support their own weight when removed from water and collapse. Whereas marsh/ garden plants will stand upright when removed from water.

There are some marsh plants that do well underwater. Sword plants, Cryptocorynes, and some Hygrophila species are marsh plants that can live completely submerged in water.

Some true aquatic plants include Ambulia, Cabomba, Elodia, Hydrilla, Vallis.
ohhh i see. yeah i keep my ribbon plants out of tank...
back when my tank wasnt messed up, some plants grew out of the water and grew terrrestrial leaves
in the river i go to, most plants are marsh plants, and i am sometimes confused because they go out of water sometimes

Unfortunately that test will not always work because many aquatic plants can grow above water as well as below with different leaf and stem structure adapted to each condition. The vast majority of aquarium plants sold are grown emersed as the availability of CO2 lends itself to more efficient growth. Emersed growth would be able to support its weight out of water- as would fleshier aquatic rhizome plants such as anubias and bucephalandra.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back