myths about live bearing fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anyways, sorry for the hijack there. Back to the myths! All tanks need some supplement or water changes for replacement of minerals, pH affects gender in livebearers, and swordtails are strange transgender/duogender/weird fish.
LOL :)

Ya, I guess they arent THAT weird... The gender bender thing is, but there are much stranger fish to be had. Most of them I like too, like Blennies, Gobies, Pencilfish, Handfish, Puffers, and even though not a fish, Axolotls.

Blennies and gobies are cool and easy to breed. They lay eggs in caves and under rocks and produce lots of them. Gobies generally have larger eggs than blennies but both are easy to rear.

Pencilfish are easy too, Shove em in a tank full of plants and feed them. A few months later you will have heaps of them.

I have kept a few box fish, cowfish and puffers but never bred them and never kept handfish. I will leave the handfish in your capable hands Vengi :)

Blennies and gobies are cool and easy to breed. They lay eggs in caves and under rocks and produce lots of them. Gobies generally have larger eggs than blennies but both are easy to rear.

Pencilfish are easy too, Shove em in a tank full of plants and feed them. A few months later you will have heaps of them.

I have kept a few box fish, cowfish and puffers but never bred them and never kept handfish. I will leave the handfish in your capable hands Vengi :)

LOL! You knew what I meant when I said "pencilfish" didnt you! I had the wrong terminology. I saw one at the LFS, and for some reason thought "pencilfish" but it was actually a "Banded Pipefish" so yea, I wrote it wrong. But we were talking about weird fish, so I'm guessing you knew, since you mentioned seahorses on the other thread. I feel so dumb...

No I didn't realise you had typed pencilfish instead of pipefish :)

Pipefish are a bit harder to deal with, lots of small live food and see what happens. Seahorses are easier to keep and breed than pipefish due to being a bit bigger. But it also depends on the seahorse.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back