Myth Or Fact About Female Bettas And Egg Binding?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

keithp

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Myth- Keeping female bettas next to males will make them produce eggs, and if not mated they will die from egg binding.

Myth- Overfeeding female bettas will also encourage egg growth and if not mated will die from egg binding. Females should be mostly underfed (ex 1 pellet) all the time, unless they are being mated then they should be overfed for healthy egg production.

Myth- Keeping female bettas next to males will make them produce eggs, and if not mated they will die from egg binding.
Kinda true kinda not, the female will absorb the eggs most of the time. If the female doesn't absorb the eggs then it needs to be bred out of her, if they stay in her and they don't absorb it is possible for internal infections to set in, if this happens not only do you need to treat it, you need to hand strip it and its hard to do with a betta! Hand stripping a betta fish you could kill it if you do it wrong(I have seen females blow there egg cavities apart because producing eggs so much
Keeping males next to females or visa versa yes it makes the female turn on there little hormones quicker for producing eggs

Myth- Overfeeding female bettas will also encourage egg growth and if not mated will die from egg binding. Females should be mostly underfed (ex 1 pellet) all the time, unless they are being mated then they should be overfed for healthy egg production.

Overfeeding bettas period will lead to bloat! They should be conditioned for healthy eggs, more fertile eggs both male and female conditioned!
See above for egg binding, egg binding doesn't lead to death its usually the infection that occurs that leads to the death, unless the egg cavity explodes, most times the eggs will just fall out of the female, hand stripping is done with a Q tip same way as a goldfish. The chances in doing something like this is 50/50 of the fish crooking! from improper methods

I had a female Betta have a whole bunch of white stuff around her egg spot (looked like it kinda exploded a little) before.... :( So, I'm not quite sure what happened; coulda been that. Anyways.... that stuff about underfeeding is SOOOOO false; they'd starve! :(

I have a female and just wanted to make sure to avoid any egg binding. She is alone, no other bettas around, and I feed her normally just enough that her belly looks a bit bigger. So sounds like she will be fine. :)

I have a female and just wanted to make sure to avoid any egg binding. She is alone, no other bettas around, and I feed her normally just enough that her belly looks a bit bigger. So sounds like she will be fine.
smile.gif

The most important thing is diet. Dalphinia is a great food and also helps with cleaning out eggs believe it or not also helps keep the fish from being bloated its a cleansing food! If you do ever run into it the best method I have used myself and herd many success stories about is salt baths with epson salt not aquarium salt. They will produce eggs regardless, unless you are attempting to breed it you will never see it huge unless you feed it very well! They go through a cycle of produce and absorb it just continues on in there life. Breeders condition them so live feedings or lots of frozen foods to make quality of the eggs better and to produce more. I can count on 1 hand how many times it has happen to me 3 of the females there cavity actually exploded and tons of eggs all over the place was just to much and I neglected to try and do anything about it. I had one I milked with a q tip she didn't look to healthy after that but she did live for about another year with no issues, usually its the older females that run into issues with binding of eggs and is usually uncommon for the most part. The other option is you can do it naturally and breed her 1 time every month to release the eggs but be warned if you start doing that you just can't finish it as it usually leads to egg binding later on down the road if you stop it. That is where I found I ran into my problems of bloat/egg binding, so a total of 9+ years and can only count on 1 hand how many times it has happen to me. This isn't that common with bettas usually its bloat, and females don't die from egg binding they die from the infection from the eggs going stale (bad) inside her, me being the person I am I had a female die on me, expensive fish and thaught well I wanted to know why I performed surgery and found she was egg bound and the sac inside that contained the eggs was actually brown in colour and was rotten (Stunk like ****)

Main point is a healthy diet, Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Flake food, Pellets, Dalphinia, Live mealworms but go with the extra small ones and cut them in half, blackworms they love blackworms, de shelled peas weekly. And if you ever end up with a betta that is sick never stop feeding them, its actually bad even if constipated many give advice to fast a fish and you never should if it has lets say dropsy(and you don't know this) and you fast it next thing you know its not eating after the fast its because its to weak to fight it off now!

hope the information helps your journey with your female ^^

My female loves all those foods and gets most of them, always change so she has variety. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back