Mystery snails eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi my mystery snails have laid some egg sacs for me today. This is the first time for me , my question is can I sell these? Im in the UK and they said there was a ban on them? Mine aren't the large cana snails, one is golden and the other hazel. I just don't want to end up with lots of babies i cant home.
Thank you

no you can't sell mystery snails if you live in the UK. The stupid government is afraid they will take over the country and rule the people better than they do.

It's not the UK government, it's the EU government. Since one species of apple snail has been found in a Spanish river, they want to avoid a cane toad style problem. Fair enough to ban them in countries like Spain, where the apple snails became a serious pest in the rice farming areas, but the EU uses a "one size fits all" policy so they banned them from every country in the EU, including northern countries where they can't survive the winter.

The legislation bans the importing of all apple snails into the EU and the spreading of them within the EU. See the section called Advisory Information at the bottom of this link.
Remove the eggs, put them in a plastic bag in the freezer. When the eggs are dead, throw them in the bin.

I doubt very much that they'll be legal in the UK after 1 February because the UK government has to repeal any EU legislation it doesn't want and apple snails will be pretty low on the list.

Last edited:
hatch them out and sell them on the black market, or just keep them in your own tank and don't tell anyone.

Sure have a lot of laws over there, I heard the EU was trying to regulate the size of tea pots. Some bureaucrat has too much time on his hands.

Thanks everyone.
I put them in the freezer as at the moment I don't have much room for them. Hopefully they'll carry on laying eggs and when I want more I'll hatch some.

If you read that paragraph in the link I gave you, you'll see it is now illegal to breed apple snails in the EU and all eggs must be destroyed.......

That's fine I'll just stick to my rabbit snails.
The best of it is I just bought my 3 of Ebay! That's how I was confused.
Thank you

Of course, just because something is illegal....:whistle:

Just don't get caught!

Lol no I'm not going to sell any but people are! That's why I wanted to find out I thought it was just the 2 invasive species cana and malcuta? ( dont think I've spelt that right) not the diffusa but if I don't ask I won't know.
Thanks again

It's all apple snails that are banned, every species in the genus Pomacea.

I'll just make sure I don't buy anymore, it's sad as they are nice snails to have.
Thanks for clearing that up for me

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back