Mystery snails and sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zephyrski

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just picked up two mystery snails today and put them in my tank, no fish yet. However my tank is a sand bottom, and the snails keep seeming like they're getting stuck at the edges almost as if they can't climb there way out of a hole.
Should I just let them figure it out for themselves or burry some stones or something to maybe help if they get stuck?

Like this guy, its seemed like it got stuck here before so I moved it, but of course it ends up here again.

Attachments

• 20211119_150513.jpg
    20211119_150513.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 68
I've experienced similar with my nerites.
Be aware that snails do have periods of sleep and rest and I found one of mine sleeping, partially buried in the sand. I noticed that the following day, it had moved on.
I also know that, like their terrestrial counterparts, they have favoured places.

I've experienced similar with my nerites.
Be aware that snails do have periods of sleep and rest and I found one of mine sleeping, partially buried in the sand. I noticed that the following day, it had moved on.
I also know that, like their terrestrial counterparts, they have favoured places.
That's interesting. Do they go into their shells when they sleep and or rest? I noticed one still have it's head out. I also didn't think the mysteries burried down

That's interesting. Do they go into their shells when they sleep and or rest? I noticed one still have it's head out. I also didn't think the mysteries burried down
I had one against the glass when it was half submerged in sand...and it appeared to have its head out.
NOTE that if they totally withdraw into their shells, the go behind the operculum and are no longer attached to anything.
We know that many smaller snails are active burrowers, which is how they seek their food. There won't be, (or shouldn't be), much sustenance in sand, so I suspect it's soft enough for larger snails to dig into and feel safe.

I had one against the glass when it was half submerged in sand...and it appeared to have its head out.
NOTE that if they totally withdraw into their shells, the go behind the operculum and are no longer attached to anything.
We know that many smaller snails are active burrowers, which is how they seek their food. There won't be, (or shouldn't be), much sustenance in sand, so I suspect it's soft enough for larger snails to dig into and feel safe.
Oh okay, thank you. I was just worried about the little fellow because it really seems to be going down in the sand.

hi whenever i get a new mystery or move them, they burrow half way into the sand and sleep for 2 days. then they wake up

hi whenever i get a new mystery or move them, they burrow half way into the sand and sleep for 2 days. then they wake up
Ah that's good to know others snails are doing that. This one is almost fully covered hah

Attachments

• 20211119_191934.jpg
    20211119_191934.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 74
I thought that they naturally like to burrow and come out when I turn off the tanks lights.
Some snails do bury themselves during the day and come out at night but mystery/ apple snails don't. They can be active during the day or night and don't normally bury themselves.

Most reactions

trending

Back