Mystery snail questions

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey I would like to know if anyone here keeps mystery snail big tank? Would it be to high for them to go at the surface and breathe (55 gallon)? Also is it really possible to feed them in bigger tank like this? I would be scared they eat all my plants because they don't find food... Last question, my water is soft so it is bad for their shell but would it still possible for me to have them if I give them food that has calcium?

I had two golden Mystery Snails in my 55 gallon tank. It was no problem for them to make it to the top for air, I had about an inch of "dry" area for them before they hit the lid. I had to get rid of my mystery snails because they ate every plant except my ferns and went with nerite snails instead. You can add calcium in different ways like sea shells and cuddle stones.

I had two golden Mystery Snails in my 55 gallon tank. It was no problem for them to make it to the top for air, I had about an inch of "dry" area for them before they hit the lid. I had to get rid of my mystery snails because they ate every plant except my ferns and went with nerite snails instead.
The problem in your 55 gallon was maybe they didn't find enough food like I tought would probably happen if I had them in my 55 gallon. I had 2 in my 10 gallon and they only ate duckweed, not the plants but I got rid of them because my water wasn't good for them (that's why I am asking if it could work with food rich in calcium). I like nerites but mine lays eggs everywhere

Rachel O'Leary keeps them in a 55.

Only apple snails eat plants, mysterys don't. They look very similar but are different. @NCaquatics has apples that she bought as mysterys.

The problem in your 55 gallon was maybe they didn't find enough food like I tought would probably happen if I had them in my 55 gallon. I had 2 in my 10 gallon and they only ate duckweed, not the plants but I got rid of them because my water wasn't good for them (that's why I am asking if it could work with food rich in calcium). I like nerites but mine lays eggs everywhere
I wish you better luck than I had, my snails are now residing in one of my bother-in-law's tanks where they get to dine on plastic plants :devil:

That's weird there are so much mixed opinions about these snails. I think what I could do is try them in my 10 gallon before putting them in my 55 gallon. @DwarfCichlidLvr do you know if Rachel O'Leary has soft water like I do and if so how does she deals with their shells?

Feed them high calcium food. Go to the bird section of the pet store and buy some cuttlebone. Keep it in the water. Snail will either snack on it, or will eventually dissolve in the water... but itll affect your water hardness so keep this in mind with fish.

Feed them high calcium food. Go to the bird section of the pet store and buy some cuttlebone. Keep it in the water. Snail will either snack on it, or will eventually dissolve in the water... but itll affect your water hardness so keep this in mind with fish.
I have cuttlebone but I would not use it in my 55 gallon because of the stocking. I think crab cuisine food or something like that is high in calcium if I remember well

The other thing is that these food are probably bad for fish if they eat it and they would probably eat it before the snail so I think I have my awnser. It's probably not gonna work in that tank

Mine is fine in my 55. He eats leftover food and fish droppings. He makes it to the surface fine and dosent eat the plants

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back