Mystery Snail Problem Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FloridaChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What do you do when you suddenly have 45 Gold Mystery Snails? Thankfully I only let one clutch of eggs hatch but as cool as they are, they are dirty! Not worth selling, does anyone know if they could survive in a canal or lake? I live in South Florida so it doesn't get too cold.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_001641_231.jpg
    IMG_20210403_001641_231.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20201218_221329_123.jpg
    IMG_20201218_221329_123.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201218_214955.jpg
    20201218_214955.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 82
Please do not release the snails into the wild. Not only do you risk a disease from your tank wiping out the local wildlife (which your snails may be immune to), they will also disrupt the ecosystem.

If you can't sell them or give them away, the only other option would be to kill them all.

Carefully monitor your ph levels in the tank they are in, all of those growing shells will leech calcium from the water column, and could cause a ph crash....happened to me once....after that, I always removed and discarded the egg clutches

Please do not release the snails into the wild. Not only do you risk a disease from your tank wiping out the local wildlife (which your snails may be immune to), they will also disrupt the ecosystem.

If you can't sell them or give them away, the only other option would be to kill them all.
Yea, I thought so. Really bad idea. Such gentle, peaceful creatures, so sad to hurt them. I do discard all egg clutches.

I would take them to your LFS and see if they will take them! If they won’t take them and they are still small, you could setup a pea puffer tank and they would enjoy eating them!

I am afraid if you released them, they could become invasive and do serious damage to your local wildlife. It is not ever a good idea to release a domestic animal.

What do you do when you suddenly have 45 Gold Mystery Snails? Thankfully I only let one clutch of eggs hatch but as cool as they are, they are dirty! Not worth selling, does anyone know if they could survive in a canal or lake? I live in South Florida so it doesn't get too cold.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOW I WANT ONE XD!!
I LOVE MYSTERY SNAILS LOL

Please, I will send you some for free!
ooh good idea! you should put them on ebay!
they all look SUPER healthy, and beautiful!
it's a bummer i don't live near florida and it will probaby die if it travels very far :(
for now i only have 2 snails.

Those really are lovely snails! If you grew them out to a bigger size, you really could sell them on Ebay. If you make them cheap, but charge enough to make it worth your time, you should have lots of buyers.

Those really are lovely snails! If you grew them out to a bigger size, you really could sell them on Ebay. If you make them cheap, but charge enough to make it worth your time, you should have lots of buyers.
yes! i will probably be one of those.
The shippping will be very expensive i think.

yes! i will probably be one of those.
The shippping will be very expensive i think.
I wouldn’t think so! Couldn’t be more than $10, so it would definitely be more worth the price to ship them 5 or 10 at a time

I wouldn’t think so! Couldn’t be more than $10, so it would definitely be more worth the price to ship them 5 or 10 at a time
yes! some online stores sell shipping for $30+
remember it's a live thing that has higher priority than say, an elodea

I really don't know how to ship them. I'll figure it out. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back