mystery snail paralyzed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a few mystery snails in my 29 gallon tank and out of those few one of them, a blue mystery snail starting acting weird today. This morning I found him upside down trying to turn himself back over at the bottom of my tank so I flipped him back over. Since that happened, he's been constantly climbing out of my water and just sitting there. I have a lid so he can't get out but I don't know if this is normal behavior for mystery snails. I know it' s not a female trying to lay eggs because I flipped the snail over and I know it's a male. All my other snails are acting completely normal and eating an algae wafer I just put in my tank. As of 2 days ago my water parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2.5 nitrate, and 7.3 PH. I'm taking my water to be tested at my LFS again today. I have cuttelbone in my water for calcium and his shell looks normal too. I just did a water change in hopes to remove anything that could cause him to act like this. Is this health/normal behavior for a mystery snail? Thanks in advance

I thought snails were hempaphrodite.

Are water snails different?

(Sorry - I know that's nothing to do with your question, but your comment "I know it's a male" got me wondering.)

(Sorry - I know that's nothing to do with your question, but your comment "I know it's a male" got me wondering.)
'I flipped the snail over and I know it's a male' I'm not sure why, but this got me laughing D:

@corylover5 , If you had tested water 2 days ago, something could go wrong there.. could you test your water again just to male sure?

I have had mystery snails sit up on the rim of my tank, that is where they will lay eggs and also get a breather. My nerite and ramshorn snails sit up there too and that is where I catch the pond snails.

'I flipped the snail over and I know it's a male' I'm not sure why, but this got me laughing D:

@corylover5 , If you had tested water 2 days ago, something could go wrong there.. could you test your water again just to male sure?
It's like with guinea pigs. They're supposed to be hard to sex, but I always just flip them over and examine their bits.

If he bites you, it's a male, and if she bites you, it's a female.

Simples.

I had my water tested and it came back as 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 3 nitrate, 7.5 PH and I had a low KH and GH. Could the low KH and GH cause my snail to act like that? I got Seachem Trace to add minerals back in.

You could add crushed sea shell to increase it or add calcium for the snails shells but I think he is just acting naturally. I have had snails set in one spot for over a week and not move. I figure they are just digesting food. Right now I have two snails setting on the top edge of the tank's glass just out of the water.

I just went to look at the snail and again he was upside down and he looked as if he were almost coming out of his shell. I put him in a small container of tank water and he struggled to pull himself back in his shell for about 5 minutes until he was able to go back in his shell. Is there something wrong with the snail that I'm missing? I'm really worried about him.

He came out of his shell again and looks like this. He keeps flipping himself upside down too. Its almost like hes coming out of his shell crooked

Attachments

• 2020-05-25 16.55.31.jpg
    2020-05-25 16.55.31.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 2020-05-25 16.56.11.jpg
    2020-05-25 16.56.11.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2020-05-25 16.56.48.jpg
    2020-05-25 16.56.48.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 2020-05-25 16.57.54.jpg
    2020-05-25 16.57.54.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2020-05-25 16.58.32.jpg
    2020-05-25 16.58.32.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
A week after this snail passed I got another blue Mystery snail. Today he has started to show the exact symptoms this one had. :( All my other snails are fine and healthy. How can I help my mystery snail? Water parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 8 nitrate. Could it be some genetic thing with blue mystery snails?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back