Mystery pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lina00

Reaction score
I have won a Chubby pleco L56 on Ebay auction from local supplier. Didn't look too close while pleco was in a bag, and then left aquarium lights off after letting him out. I then saw him out of the hiding areas, and now I'm pretty sure it's not a Chubby pleco. Any guesses what that is? this pleco is currently in my temperate tank, with temperatures around 24, sometimes dropping to 22 when central heating is off during the night. Not sure if this type of pleco is ok in that setup.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Can you take a picture with white light?
Hi, what do you mean? first picture is without lights on, just from room light, the second one is with the flashlight pointing at him. I'll try to do a picture with aquarium lights on.

I dont think its actually L56 though. Have you contacted the seller?

Last edited:
I dont think its actually L56 though. Have you contacted the seller?
I don't thinks it's L56 too. I contacted the seller, he thinks it looks similar to blue panaque L239. I just wanted someone here to give their opinions. If it's actual L239, don't know if he's alright in temperate setup or shall I move him to my tropical tank.

I don't thinks it's L56 too. I contacted the seller, he thinks it looks similar to blue panaque L239. I just wanted someone here to give their opinions. If it's actual L239, don't know if he's alright in temperate setup or shall I move him to my tropical tank.
What plant and fish in the tropical tank?

What plant and fish in the tropical tank?
Tropical: plants: Anubias, vallisneria, amazon swords, lillies, rotala, various mosses and some floating plants; fishes: L11, L14, L264, L183 (not grown, ~10cm each), blue gourami, red tail shark, 6 loaches (2 dwarf & 4 kuhli) loads of cherry shrimps.
This setup is very old and all looks in harmony, not sure if I want to add something else...
Temperate: plants: Anubias, water wisteria, vallisneria, amazon sword; fishes: 6 cherry barbs, 2 baby bristlenose and 5 shrimps + new pleco. This is fairly new setup (6 months old)

Move him now but let him acclimate

Move him now but let him acclimate
Reason? Because of the temperature? As I said, he seems a bit stressed, doesn't go out for the food at the moment, not sure if he is gonna be able to compete for food in the tropical tank, as other plecs are bigger than him, he's only 7-8cm in size. I would rather let him put a bit of weight in this tank and then move.

Yes acclimate for the temp

Yes acclimate for the temp
yeah, I know how to acclimate. Just read that they are delicate in nature and not recommended for the ‘general’ community aquarium, so a bit worried if he will be alright with bigger than him pleco and hooligan red tail shark?

yeah, I know how to acclimate. Just read that they are delicate in nature and not recommended for the ‘general’ community aquarium, so a bit worried if he will be alright with bigger than him pleco and hooligan red tail shark?
How big is he?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back