Mystery of the 3 Shrimps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Carrots

Reaction score
Hi
Ok my tank finished itā€™s fishless six week cycle, I heavily planted it at the time. On week 7 waters still perfect I bought 6 male blue guppies. Iā€™m not that keen on guppies. Too greedy. So if they died it was no great loss to me. 10 days later still got 6 guppies. Over the course of the next 5 weeks every 7/10 days bought a Dragon Scale Betta 8 Golden Barbs 3 shrimp and 6 Neon Tetras and 1 tiny Bristlenose. And a Zebra Snail ? I have a 200l Roma.
anyways, my question is. After 7 days of introduction, I found the Orange shrimp dead. Day 10 after watching the Blue shrimp eating away happily the night before, dead the next morning. The Cherry.. I never found. All other fish all good. Water temp at that time was 24Ā°/25Ā°. They werenā€™t eaten (unknown with the Cherry one) as I removed the Orange and Blue ones. So question is why did they die ?I do weekly API water tests / changes and jugged the water back in. And since then have read it should of been dripped back in my mistake. Could it of been that I poured the water back in and it caused some kind of stress induced shock. I just donā€™t know.

Attachments

• E67B8A17-EE2A-4649-B800-010C1B5E569A.jpeg
    E67B8A17-EE2A-4649-B800-010C1B5E569A.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 53
My thought would be the betta has attacked and killed them the cherry shrimp are probably in hiding.

My 3 cherry shrimp i can go days without seeing them then there at the front of the tank happy as can be I was worried the rams would eat them.

My guess would maybe be the beta.

It is recommended that shrimps are introduced after a tank has run for 6 months. At this stage it will be mature, having sufficient biofilm for shrimp to feed on. They graze 24/7.

I would recommend you check your GH 9General harness). GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium in the water If your water is very soft the shrimp will not be able to molt and are likely going to die. A GH of 3 to 8 degrees should be fine.

I would recommend you check your GH 9General harness). GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium in the water If your water is very soft the shrimp will not be able to molt and are likely going to die. A GH of 3 to 8 degrees should be fine.
I have these two tests. Dip Strips and tube tests the tubes doesnā€™t do GH. So just did a Strip test and results show below Iā€™m in a hard water area
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Which is the GH test and which is the KH test?
The one on the left looks like 30, the one next to the orange looks like 80. If GH is 30, that's very soft; if GH is 80 it's soft.

These are my lowest readings ever. Itā€™s usually
GH 120
KH 80
PH 7/7.5
N02 0
N03 0
image.jpg
image.jpg

120 ppm is still soft, it converts to 6.7 dH. But it is high enough for shrimps - my GH is 5 dH and I keep red cherry shrimps.

But if that test strip in post #6 is accurate, 30 ppm (1.7 dH) hardness is very soft and probably too soft for shrimps.

120 ppm is still soft, it converts to 6.7 dH. But it is high enough for shrimps - my GH is 5 dH and I keep red cherry shrimps.

But if that test strip in post #6 is accurate, 30 ppm (1.7 dH) hardness is very soft and probably too soft for shrimps.
How did you convert ppm to dh?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back