mystery + nerite snail question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lavathebetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a mystery snail in a 10 gallon tank and just got 2 nerite snails from petco. should i worry about spread of disease and put the nerites in another tank (without snails)? the mystery snail tank has a tight fitting lid while the other tank has a lid with gaps in it for the HOB. i'm worried about the nerites crawling out of the other tank.

i know that disease from snail to fish is low, but i assume nerite snails can spread disease to mystery snails? not sure which is the better option

I personally always advocate quarantine new inhabitants before they go into their tank. If you are worried about the gaps, you can always put saran wrap on top of the aquarium (leave enough room for the hob water flow) and then put your hood back on top of that. However, do not do this if you have lights which generate enough heat to melt the saran wrap.

At the same time, I agree with you that it is probably unlikely that the mystery snail will introduce bugs to the nerite snail.

Nerite snails rarely explore the outside of the tank unless water is not amenable. Mystery snails are the ultimate escape artists! Worse than octopuses! They will leave the tank any chance they get. Any mesh or floss like @essjay suggested will keep them from escaping if you are worried.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back