Mystery fry???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

cait.russ

Reaction score
I have a tank with 3 female guppyā€™s in it and in the store the were also separated from male and female. I was cleaning my tank out the other day and noticed a tiny little fry! There only seems to be one and Iā€™ve absolutely no idea how it got there it seems happy enough and the others donā€™t seem to be phased by it anymore but any advice on how to keep the lil guy/gal growing strong would be great!

Welcome to the wonderful world of livebearers! Female guppies/mollies/platies etc can store sperm for a year or more after having been with a male, and it only takes one male to have jumped into their tank, whether at the store or the fish farm, or if the sexes weren't separated early enough, and you have female guppies popping out fry even without a male around.

Chances are that if one was gravid, they all are, so keep an eye out for them getting rounder!

Crush some of the usual food up so it's small enough for the fry's mouth, and he'll survive on the same stuff the adults do. Some live plants will give him some places to hide to avoid the adults eating him.

Congrats! This is likely the first of many :D

@AdoraBelle Dearheart thats very helpful thank you! Iā€™ve noticed that their behaviour has changed a little since the fry has appeared so Iā€™m wondering the rest may be pregnant also. Yeah he likes to hide out in the plants and he ventures into the middle of the tank more each day so Iā€™m taking that as a good sign!

@AdoraBelle Dearheart thats very helpful thank you! Iā€™ve noticed that their behaviour has changed a little since the fry has appeared so Iā€™m wondering the rest may be pregnant also. Yeah he likes to hide out in the plants and he ventures into the middle of the tank more each day so Iā€™m taking that as a good sign!
Good luck with them, thank god i have an all male tank except for my corys ;)

with fantastic fish store like sweet Knowle Aquatics why go to Pets at Home :no:
Apparently it's the only place by him but he's been in touch this morning and found another pet shop who will take them off his hands as they're all fully matured.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_212136518.jpg
    IMG_20200703_212136518.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 54
  • GEDC1357.JPG
    GEDC1357.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 55

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back