Mystery Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

69snails

Reaction score
hey y'all! im super new to keeping fish. I currently have a 10 gallon with a male betta, a kuhli loach, a pair of shrimp, a pair of endless, and something. I was *told* that it was a pair of neon tetras, but once I got them home it became very clear that only one really was. the other looks to me like some kind of guppy? but im really not sure at all. does anyone know what she could be? (ive been calling her 'she' because all of the fish are named after agents of shield lol. she's Simmons).

Attachments

• tempImagemw2Bib.png
    tempImagemw2Bib.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 66
  • tempImagevY7oHY.png
    tempImagevY7oHY.png
    895.1 KB · Views: 63
  • tempImageDY6Z3u.png
    tempImageDY6Z3u.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • tempImageJUUfOp.png
    tempImageJUUfOp.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
Yeah your right I think it may be some type of guppy I haven’t kept guppies in a while but it looks like a normal female guppy to me no idea why the shop sold it to you as a neon tetra I wouldn’t go to that shop anymore

thank you! yeah, the fish keeper seemed very uninformed so i won’t be going back.

from the bit of information i could find, it looks like she could already be gravid? she has a black spot on her abdomen that I can't tell if its just a color marking or that my tank is about to be stocked XD

hey y'all! im super new to keeping fish. I currently have a 10 gallon with a male betta, a kuhli loach, a pair of shrimp, a pair of endless, and something. I was *told* that it was a pair of neon tetras, but once I got them home it became very clear that only one really was. the other looks to me like some kind of guppy? but im really not sure at all. does anyone know what she could be? (ive been calling her 'she' because all of the fish are named after agents of shield lol. she's Simmons).
Welcome to the forum!
You are called 69 snails. Do you like snails? I hope to breed mine eventually 🙂

Welcome to the forum!
You are called 69 snails. Do you like snails? I hope to breed mine eventually 🙂
i do! i have 69 (hence the username lol).

i’m actually a college student, and last semester decided to get some terrestrial snails because they’re so easy to care for. i brought them with me when i went home for winter break, but ended up having to fly back to campus. my younger sister has my snails for me until i come home again, but that’s how i ended up with fish! my windowsill was looking super lonely and empty, so my roommate and i decided on a beta. the 10 gal seemed so empty, so we got the other fish to have some activity.

all of my animals are named after marvel characters 🤣

i do! i have 69 (hence the username lol).

i’m actually a college student, and last semester decided to get some terrestrial snails because they’re so easy to care for. i brought them with me when i went home for winter break, but ended up having to fly back to campus. my younger sister has my snails for me until i come home again, but that’s how i ended up with fish! my windowsill was looking super lonely and empty, so my roommate and i decided on a beta. the 10 gal seemed so empty, so we got the other fish to have some activity.

all of my animals are named after marvel characters 🤣
Oh my goodness! 69 snails? I am soooooo jealous. Which type are they?

most of them are patera appressa, but i can’t remember off the top of my head what the other two species i have are (i won’t lie, i definitely just picked them up out of the campus food garden because i felt bad about them dying lol).

most of them are patera appressa, but i can’t remember off the top of my head what the other two species i have are (i won’t lie, i definitely just picked them up out of the campus food garden because i felt bad about them dying lol).
Cool! I used to have hundreds of pest snails(am a pro at breeding them), used to have Assasin Snails and now have 3 nerites! 🙂

Looks like some kind of guppy to me. They're no trouble, but beware that if the two are a male and a female, they will breed endlessly.

Kuhli loaches might not be appropriate for your current set-up. They prefer to live in groups of 5 and above, and as such would need a bigger tank anyway.
I would also be careful of the guppies and endlers living with a betta. Bettas (particularly males) are naturally territorial and occasionally recognise other fish in their tank as other males. As such, they flare their fins, attempt to fight them, and can wind up stressing themselves out in the process.
While many people do say that their betta lives happily with other fish, the general rule of thumb is to keep them as solitary fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back