Tank 55 gallon & 15 gallon
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Hardness 150
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 100
pH 7.2
78 degrees

The above readings have been steady for at least 3 months.
Tank mates are: 20 pygmy corydoras (55g) started with but moved---> 2 female bettas (15 gallon split tank) started with but moved----> rabbit snails and nerite snails (started out with shrimp but none left-Died mysteriously)

So on to the history/current issue....
About 8 months ago I brought home 20 pygmy corydoras, along with some rabbit and nerite snails . A few weeks after quarantining they were placed in the larger tank. Then, pygmies suddenly develop red spots on their sides, passing away shortly thereafter. I treated the tank with ESHA2000, Esha EXIT, Polyguard which stopped those symptoms.

Fast forward a month or so later with all of my pygmies and bettas in the same tank with new plants I thought I had sanitized properly- all of the sudden select pygmies would lose the ability to swim, almost appearing to have a seizure? They would swim to the top, then float down as if they were dying and not moving, stay at the bottom for a short time, then regain swimming like normal and repeating the cycle until I had to euthanize them. It happed to about 10 of them. Treated again with above mentioned medicines, along with Expel P and Prazicleanse and haven't had those issues since.

My female betta who also occupied the tank has been moved to a separate aquarium because she appears to have a paralyzed back end and is getting skinnier than normal. She also has a single white dot but she remains in good spirits with her personality not changing, eager to eat and be nosy. I've tried treating with those above medicines again to no avail. Now a handful of my pygmies have a single spot on the top of their back, just next to their dorsal fin and are flicking but otherwise acting normal. Just last night I dosed Paraguard in both tanks and noticed today soooo many free floating circular whiteish-ivory organisms that were not there before. I cannot get pictures of these suckers as they're so tiny and move faster than I can focus the camera. There are none of these in the betta tank though. What did I just unleash?!

Last edited:
I'm no diagnostician but, just as a guess I suggest the possibility of a parasite.

I have no clue as to what the meds you are using are but if not for a specific known issue meds can cause morre harm than good by stressing and weakening the fish.

What is the water change routine? And how long have these treatments been for? There is a "Columnaris" flavibacter vibe to some of what you're describing - it thrives when water quality drops and tends to return periodically once it's appeared. Too short an antibiotic treatment lets pathogens survive.

I can't give antibiotic advice - over the counter ones have been illegal here for many years.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back