Mysterious Disease

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

awolf3303

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the fish forum but have had a fish tank for about two years now. All my chemicals in my tank are balanced, and overall have had a good run with my 20 gallon tank. However in the past month, two fish have died. Both of their bodies have had a thick, white string hanging from their gils. This is very unusual, and I don't know what is causing it and how to fix it. Any ideas about what could be causing this?
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 2.22.49 PM.png

If fish are producing excess mucous (white stringy stuff on body and fins), it's because something is wrong with the water and is irritating the fish. This can be poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) or incorrect pH and GH.

You need to post pictures of the fish when they have the problem and check your water quality. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If fish are producing excess mucous (white stringy stuff on body and fins), it's because something is wrong with the water and is irritating the fish. This can be poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) or incorrect pH and GH.

You need to post pictures of the fish when they have the problem and check your water quality. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

So you don't think that it is a parasite?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back