Video My Zebra Plecs At Feeding Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rvm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've had my Zebra plecs for a couple of months now, and they are probably the least active and shy fish I've ever seen! So I decided to try and get them on video by leaving my camcorder running in front of the tank at feeding time. It was running for 13 minutes, and I edited the final clip down to about 2 minutes of actual movement!! :lol:
The file is just under 8Mb, so you'd probably want to be on broadband unless you really want to see it!
There are 5 plecs in the tank, but you see 2 of them mostly. If you look in the background, you catch glimpses of the other 3, but only just!! The stuff floating round in the tank is bloodworm and air bubbles. I have this tank turning over at around 2500 l/hour to create a nice current for them!!
It is in .wmv format, so sorry to all you mac users, but I have limited video editing skills and don't know how to change it to .avi
Anyway, hope you enjoy:

Zebra Plecs

wtf rvm lol!!! im on cable and its been 3 mins and only 23% downloaded??? just how big is the file lol

Awsome wow 5 you have , are those expensive ?

You have some awsome circulation as well . :nod:

lucky62 said:
Awsome wow 5 you have , are those expensive ?

You have some awsome circulation as well . :nod:
I got them for the bargain price of £52.50 each! :D :D
I have an Eheim Ecco 2235 running as the main filter (600l/hour)
a Fluval 3 as back up (600l/hour)
and 2 powerheads connected to sponges to create a current (600l/hour each)
you're right, thats a lot of circulation. nearly 25 times per hour!!!

nice plecs :thumbs: , that tank has more current than white water rapids!
why so much filtration/current?

You should put some other fish in there too :whistle: (or not....)

I'm hoping to be able to breed them, that is why I have a strong current in the tank. Zebras natural habitat is the fast flowing water of the rio xingu in brazil, and to recreate that as closely as possible, the water needs to be fast flowing, warm (mine is set around 85 degrees) and highly oxygenated.
As for adding other fish to the tank, I won't for 2 reasons. First you can see that from the 13 minutes of video I took I only got 2 minutes of movement, so any other fish in there would eat the food long before the Zebras got a look in. They simply won't compete for food and would eventually starve to death.
Secondly, if I did get them to breed, I want to give the fry as much of a chance as possible, and don't want to end up with the worlds most expensive feeders on my hands!! :lol:

Most reactions

Back