My Wolves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jelly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
These are becoming my favourite group of fish now and the collection is growing.

First Erythrinus sp. Peru, 8"

peru2.jpg

Peru1.jpg

Hoplias curupira 'Brazil'

Cupbraz.jpg

Cupbraz1.jpg

Cupbraz2.jpg

Hoplias curupira 'Venezuala'

Cup.jpg

Cup1.jpg

Cup2.jpg

Hoplias intermedius, up until recent revition of the group used to be sold as lacerdae 'sao francisco'

int.jpg

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

Hoplias aimara, My favourite.

aim.jpg

aim1.jpg

wolf fish are ace and yours are fine specimens

there was a guy on here who had some yrs ago including a rainbow one I think that was amazing

Wow, what ever sized tank do they need? How big do they actually get?

I guess tank mates are out of the question unless they're food or equally menacing :)

wolf fish are ace and yours are fine specimens

there was a guy on here who had some yrs ago including a rainbow one I think that was amazing

Thanks. There is something about them, along with Snakeheads of course ;).

Wow, what ever sized tank do they need? How big do they actually get?

I guess tank mates are out of the question unless they're food or equally menacing :)

Thanks.

Yes there are variations in eventual size and compatability with others. The Erythrinus species are small at 8" -10" and can be kept with other fish as long as they are too large to eat and not another Erythrynus. I suspect it would be possible in a very large tank. I have this one in a 5' with a number of other Amazonian fish.

The Brazilian Curupira I have had for about 2 years now has reached 11" and hasn't grown past that. Charactor wise this individual is a no no with other fish. I once tried to compine it with a 13" Fowleri cat and he relentlesly attacked it. Although this fish does have the defining charactors of Curupira I think it may be different.

The Venezualan curupira is widely kept now outside the UK and although the fish is supposed to reach approching 30" it is difficult to get them passed 16" in captivity. There are some exceptions but these have usually been captured already at a large size. I am hoping to do better though. Lots of keepers including myself have been experementing with combining this wolf with other fish and have found that as long as the fish is too big to eat there is no issue. They live in large rivers so I guess territory is not an issue. I have this one with a large ATF, a large Snakehead, Cornish Jack and the intermedius.

The intermedius is a little bit of an unknown. at the moment it's 14" and I suspect it will have have a simaler growth pattern to the other large wolves. at the moment it is in the same 8' as the Curupira.

The aimara is again a large fish, They are suppost to reach 3 to 4 foot, realistically I am expecting 20"+. There are some very large examples 30"+ out there but again these fish have been brought in at the large size. This fish is a definate no no with others, he attacks maintainance equipment. Has had a go at a couple of rocks I have put in aswell. These fish live in rapids and under waterfalls where i guess the perfect rock to ambush prey is limited so requires very aggresive defence to keep ownership of there spot.

Thanks for that detailed explanation, interesting stuff indeed....makes you want to have your very own waterfall and rapids in a tank
laugh.gif

Nice fish , i think the ery ery is the prettiest, i was close to getting one from wildwoods but in the end decided to add to poly collection.

Thanks for that detailed explanation, interesting stuff indeed....makes you want to have your very own waterfall and rapids in a tank
laugh.gif

No problem at all. I have a powerhead in there at the moment but intend to by a marine type flow pump of greater power to really give something to swim against.

Nice fish , i think the ery ery is the prettiest, i was close to getting one from wildwoods but in the end decided to add to poly collection.

Thanks. Yes ery ery is a great fish and very outgoing. You should get one. They would work with poly's.

very very nice collection mate, what with all the snakeheads,you are a god :lol:

when i went to "mynheers_a_pint" and saw his black,that n the other two he had,ive never seen these before in real life, they are stunning..... :good:

very very nice collection mate, what with all the snakeheads,you are a god :lol:

when i went to "mynheers_a_pint" and saw his black,that n the other two he had,ive never seen these before in real life, they are stunning..... :good:

Thanks Nelly. I have now run out of space though, so no more large fish, maybe some shoaling brycon in my 8', I am looking for small projects now. Back to trying to breed some of the smaller snakeheads, you still have me on that one.

I saw his curupira (Black) before he picked it up, it came in with my aimara, It's a great fish. The others were Gold Wolves. I have never had them myself but they are a great mid water predator and not to big either.

Cheers
Steve

Looking amazing mate, truely stunning, i would be very intrested in a update of all you fishies please :D
esp the channa as iam missing mine, only two groups of the juvi's from the ornatipinnis's left :(
so i need a fix budd......Hows things with you anyhoo?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back