My very modest collection of tanks.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Well people, it could perhaps be boring to relate what's up with me und my 4 aquariums but some of you know already, this should be sort of little language exercise to me (it seems to be no forbiden activity at this place), on the other side I hope perhaps to amuse some of you or make you laugh with some English-mistakes, I know how is it when foreigners try in another language sometimes, further maybe I have some little things to report about fishes and aquaristic what ist the main subject to be followed here and what we all love primarily here. So I hope some of you will be interested in this stuff and please, it should be nice if you are interacting and answering some of my cuestions or suggestions, I'm not an expert and rather a "low level" aquarist, have really a lot to learn yet. Next time I will begin reporting, for the moment my head's bursting hahahahaha, à la prochaine fois mes amis et amies (and hopefully
DSC00074.JPG
DSC00080.JPG
for a very long time). These are my 4 tanks, operation manual will be following.

Lovely tanks!

Please don't worry about your English, we have many members from all over the world here and there is never judgment or intolerance so please be comfortable and have fun

Thanks to you both, I'm not worried about my English at all and I know very well there is no judgement or intolerance at this place so I'm very reassured and I feel quite comfortable among you, but this first time I wanted to explain what's up with me, so to speak, or what sort of a chap I am, I'll repeat it never again (well nobody knows exactly hahaha).
The tanks were running for several years, my youngest is the 150 L. that started in september 2020, the other 3 are 20, 30 and 60 L., pretty minuscule and stuffed with plants that never want to stop growing, they are not tanks beautifully made but built for different sorts of aquatic animals to thrive and hopenfully reproduce themselves, in what I succeeded in many cases. Well I should stop for now, after having been reading, translating and learning a lot of English (and aquaristic) with you I'm a little tired (yes it's hard to be a beginner), Bruce la prochaine fois je me laisserai ratrapper plus facilement pour le cas que tu me voies d'avance et n'y echapperai pas, bye.

Really, the quality is awfull, below you can imagine to see some guppies (yes they are really it!), I left the Photo there because of the colors, it looks a little like a paintig of modern art (I need urgently to buy a new camera or so), I have lots of guppies and I've decided to take them all off the aquarium that should be only for spinny eels and chocolate guramis, and a few of the Corydoras, otherwise it will get overstaffed, I've already taken some of the guppies out several times, it's a pity but they are only wanted as living food in pet shops here, sorry now for saying that but I thougth they would be a good living food for my eels but they don't want to eat someone of the guys, it seems that they came out pacifists, that's nature and everyone's eating something else down here, don't lie to yourself ( that's our choice to become better persons as nature want to dictate us, just as these eels).

I hope maybe tomorrow I'll get 5 more choco guramis, if not I will have to wait another week, I've got already two of them and they should be keept in groups, then they are less agressive to each other, mine are well adapted to "normal" water parameters and feed every kind of food what is very convenient.

Above you can see Corydoras hastatus, for me one of the most adorable fresh water fish you can get, they are amazing when swimming like little helicoptes that don't move from the spot, the only known Corydoras-spezies that had such good free water swimmer qualities (unlike other cat fish). I would like to present you another aquarium of mine from where these Corydoras come, only 30 litres and runnig with an arrangement from the seventies that was devised for marine tanks, I'tell you more next time and have a nice day

NannaLou said: @MonsieurLaGrenuoille - please tell me what is that in the second photograph..?
That is a spinny eel, Machrognatus siamensis, they belonge to the perch fishes like Cichlids, Bettas etc, (and are nearly related to the Anabantidae, to wich also belongs the Betta), they only are named "eels" but they don't belong to them at all. In the photo he is buried in the sand what is one of thier favorite occupations.

That is a spinny eel, Machrognatus siamensis, they belonge to the perch fishes like Cichlids, Bettas etc, (and are nearly related to the Anabantidae, to wich also belongs the Betta), they only are named "eels" but they don't belong to them at all. In the photo he is buried in the sand what is one of thier favorite occupations.
I never Knew that they were related to those species.

Some little changes in my 150 L tank. Avant hier, this is the day before yesterday, all of my guppies females were taken away from it, I'm leaving back only 6 males of the guppies which were born in the aquarium, too. Kinda Endler-mistake mutant and colorful. To see the tank this way totally empty is a little sad because those fishes were since the very beginning of the tank in September of 2020 (the fish came of course in october after 3-4 weeks of running (cycling), before all the first tank inhabitant was a single guppy female and after few days there were a group of some 8-10 guppies, some few weeks after came 7 spinny eels which are meant to be the main inhabitants of this 137L net content tank what is actually too little capacity (to be breeded) for them although it's perfect made for the eels and they are altogether happy and alright.

The day before yesterday was a counting day, the single flaty wooden trunk on the sand for the eels, the only objekt in the tank besides the two spezies of plants, all of this stuff out of the tank together with 80L of water and some 1h of chasing the complete minuscule fry and at last sucking them off with a hose was the only possibility to take them away, kind of horrible labor.

The counting of the inhabitants was correct, all of the seven eels were present, 11 Corydoras hastatus, 8 well accustomed chocolate guramis which perhaps can attain an age of 3 or 4 years (cory 8, eels 18 years of live) and even some neocaridina shrimps of the blue dreams, perhaps 7 or 8 which were accidentaly shiped with the bucket of subwassertang I took in Sept. 2020 of my 60L shrimp tank, now I'm going to achieve the amount of shimps and corys (I forgot to mention there is also a single C. aeneus born in this tank), some 15- 20 C. hastatus more I can take from their home soon to create a shoal of some 30 fishes, and finally I want to re-start the shrimp tank with only 10 of the best individuals, and take the reject amount of shrimps, not less than 60, to the 150L to complete the inhabitants fauna for the moment.

The last and only counting of the 30L Denneerle cube with the inverted gravel filter and the breeding group of hastatus last summer resulted in over 60 individuals, they are breeding there since 2018, the fry can exist from what they find in the soil and the jungle to survive, it's amazing for me and I never owned such a breeding tank before in my life (there is only a single oto and a good deal of planorbis snails because I got a pest of algae from a feeding pond (the tank is so to speak microcontaminated and that's probably good for fry). In addition this is my only tank that gets directly sun rays for about 3h in the morning till 11, there are also two bushes of terrestrial plants with their roots in the tank and some amazing ivy is doing its very best to clean water as well. For the current there is an 150l/h air pump whithout outflow stone and very big air bubbles, that's all for the 30L cube.

Basically there are two big plant rooms in the 150L with two different spezies, the subwassertang, which is called Lomariopsis and is a fern gametophyte and gets very well in the dark, the other spezies is Ceratophyllum demersus I believe, and gets gigantic growing at the surface looking for the light, once a mounth I have to take a bucket of the hornwort out of the tank. GH 577µS and PH was 5,8 after 5 weeks of no water change, right now after 2 days and having put 80L of fresh tap water this was 7.5 PH, it seems that my aquariums stuffed with fast growing plant (except subwassertang) and enough fish are quite acidifying but that's not really been an issue for me in any time with the tanks and I desire that little acide for my planted tanks.

Well people, it could perhaps be boring to relate what's up with me und my 4 aquariums but some of you know already, this should be sort of little language exercise to me (it seems to be no forbiden activity at this place), on the other side I hope perhaps to amuse some of you or make you laugh with some English-mistakes, I know how is it when foreigners try in another language sometimes, further maybe I have some little things to report about fishes and aquaristic what ist the main subject to be followed here and what we all love primarily here. So I hope some of you will be interested in this stuff and please, it should be nice if you are interacting and answering some of my cuestions or suggestions, I'm not an expert and rather a "low level" aquarist, have really a lot to learn yet. Next time I will begin reporting, for the moment my head's bursting hahahahaha, à la prochaine fois mes amis et amies (and hopefullyView attachment 147125View attachment 147126 for a very long time). These are my 4 tanks, operation manual will be following.
Your English is excellent! You have only ever misused one word, but the result was endearing. I’m a native speaker & I am confident my misuse rate tops yours, mon ami.

I never did manage to count & ID all inhabitants of the secondhand 90 G bought 8/21. I do see 6 catfish, 5 picos & 1 big (6” +) Synodontis E., but some of the 15 cichlids remain elusive. They hide out days, but make brief appearances. I’m planning to take photos when my photographic techniques improve. This may mean buying a new camera. My old Canon DSLR lacks macro capabilities & has a few minor problems. I couldn’t mount a new macro lens on it & had to return the lens.

I was all excited about a Nikon mirrorless DSLR intil further research suggests this lightweight (& pricey) cam is best suited for travel & video, neither of which interests moi.

Last photo is 20L tetra AquaArt with the old 11W fluorescent light, here are 2 Hymenochirus boettgeri (frogs) living, together with neocaridina and a lot of melanoides-snails. First two photos are Eheim VivaLine 150 now without the guppies mesdames, number 3 & 4 are my 60L Tetra AquaArt 60 which had the flourescent 13W (good light) lamp but now has a LED, this is my tank for subwassertang and shrimp, number 5 & 6 are the 30L cube from Dennerle.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back