My very first success in breeding swordtails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
This has been my first successful swordtail breeding ever!
1 day old fry were born just yesterday and are still hiding a bit, but I do see them swimming around and chased by my other fish a bit. Some of them were eaten by my other fish in the tank assuming by my male platy's bloat ;)
Daddy is blue, momma is orange and their fry are blue-ish and their tails are orange-ish.
Very cute!

Here is one of them (other fry are still hiding):
(Sorry for bad quality)
929CBFB0-3DAA-438A-936E-76FB33A3FC6A.jpeg

Here are momma and daddy:
(Daddy (the blue one) is phenotypically close to wild green swordtails)
(Orange is the momma [no black colour])
37004D0E-F128-47F8-9365-098519415C46.jpeg

F1A2B692-E624-4559-B296-D6193E459549.jpeg

If you have mollies or platies (I believe) they can hybridize
Platies and swordtails can hybridise; mollies and guppies, and guppies and endlers can hybridise. Molly/guppy fry are usually very weak when it does happen, but guppies and endlers freely hybridise - most of the endlers sold in shops are endler-guppy hybrids.

I think most swordtails in shops are swordtail-platy hybrids. Livebearer experts will know more about this.

Speaking of hybrids, I did have a platy/swordtail hybrid. I got her from my lfs for free as she had and was after fin rot and they wouldn't sell her to people, so I got her for free, but she always was fragile so she got finrot all over again, then she got very thin and had trouble swimming around.
She passed away 1 week or 2 weeks ago. She's in the second picture, black and orange wagtail platy hybrid.

And I have a guppy/endler hybrid too. He is already starting to grow his gonopodium and is almost juvenile:
(Sorry for not very clear photo)

image.jpg

The endler guppy you see there, is my only endler left and is the father of my juvie hybrid.
The fry is seen to nibble on my mollies whenever they shimmy..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back