My very first success in breeding swordtails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Speaking of hybrids, I did have a platy/swordtail hybrid. I got her from my lfs for free as she had and was after fin rot and they wouldn't sell her to people, so I got her for free, but she always was fragile so she got finrot all over again, then she got very thin and had trouble swimming around.
She passed away 1 week or 2 weeks ago. She's in the second picture, black and orange wagtail platy hybrid.
I do know that a serious number of fancy swordtails were derived from a cross swordtail x palty. But not all of the fancy swordtails are coming from hybridization.
Congrats Salty.
@emeraldking Could you explain more about the hybrid?
Thanks :lol: Now we'll wait for @emeraldking , I'm really excited^_^:lol:
What do you want to know about hybrids in this case Barry Tetra and Salty&Onion?

Wagtail pattern comes from the swordtail and not from the platy influence. Wagtail platies were developed by inbreeding with wagtail swordtails. The wagtail pattern does have an influence of the comet swordtail with a modifier (mutated gene) that also came from the swordtail line whereby the melanophores in the fins increased. Later on they've inbred red platies with wagtail swordtails which resulted in the first wagtail platies that were red bodied. Other varieties of wagtails came later.

F1 offspring between a cross between platy x swordtail will phenotypically show more till even total swordtail traits instead of platy traits. That's why new colors and patterns of platies can be easily passed onto a swordtail line. Which means that we're referring to a hybrid but with swordtail characteristics.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back