My Vallis And Swords Wont Grow?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'm back with freshwater again,never had a problem with vallis and swords before but in this set up the giant vallis and swords have just disapeared. The vallis just ends up as strands in the surface and the swords become see through.

Coyuld I be over lighting as I am using my old marine LEDs

Yes, that's a possibility.  Everything needs to be balanced.  

Lighting, nutrients and CO2.

We'll need more information to help you though.  How deep is the tank?  What are your water parameters?  Do you add CO2?

Your Marine LED lights... were these designed for corals?  They will have a much higher PAR than other lights.  You might find that you need to raise the lights, shade them slightly, add ferts and CO2, etc.  

its the TMC iLuminaire 900s designed for marine/ corals. I can adjust the intensity and amount of blue, white or colour.

I dont add C02 or anything but then in the past 20 years I have had giant vallis in pretty much every set up and its thrived only difference being the lights I suppose. 

I am going to try and get the original t5 ballast for the tank I have . I sold mine when I bought the LEDs as I didnt anticipate ever going back to fresh

This thread is the same issue as your other
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/440739-marine-leds-in-fresh-planted-tank/

It is better to keep one topic in a single thread, so everyone knows what everyone else has said, and you will get a better response.

Having said that, as I pointed out in the other thread, the lighting is likely not going to work.  You are lacking the red, and this is essential to drive photosynthesis (along with blue, but too much blue with insufficient red does not fix things), and some green in the mix would help.  The "daylight" around 6500K is ideal.

You mention T5, be careful as this can be too bright, unless of course you intend diffused CO2.  But if you only want swords and Vallisneria, you can manage fine with moderate light and no added CO2.  I'm still using T8 fluorescent as it works and I understand it and have found the balance JD referred to; a dual T8 or a single T5 could work, depending upon the tank dimensions.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back