My Two Fish Tanks. One Very New, One Kind Of New.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NeonSagaris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are some snaps of my two tanks. One, I've had for about 3 months. A middle-sized, cool looking tank which is fully stocked with 4 Platies, 2 Mollies and 2 Otto Catfish. And one that is brand new and a lot bigger than my other tank. It's literally just off the shelf, with no fish, just cycling and being all new. I will be adding fish to it right after Christmas. The hope is to have a school of 10 Neon Tetras which will be the stars of the tank, but I'm still thinking on what else to have in there.

Here are the tanks -

New tank (still a bit cloudy since it has just been stocked full of water) -

8274987157_ec4bfd3f98.jpg

8274988967_14bebd5898.jpg

8274988721_5e94116d51.jpg

8274987437_3b87fdc7b2.jpg

Slightly older tank with my happy fish (some of them are camera shy) -

8274988389_3fb62d902a.jpg

8276053136_04cb205a1e.jpg

8276053364_fe3b51732d.jpg

There will be a big piece of drift wood in the new tank but that is currently soaking in boiling water so, yeah. I will be posting more pictures of the new tank when the cloudiness clears and when it looks a bit more interesting.

Thanks for stopping by!

And one that is brand new and a lot bigger than my other tank. It's literally just off the shelf, with no fish, just cycling and being all new. I will be adding fish to it right after Christmas.

Really cool tanks. I especially like the white rock in your second tank, is it a Fluval?

Can I ask how you're going to cycle your newer tank? A fish-less cycle won't be complete until way after Christmas.

And one that is brand new and a lot bigger than my other tank. It's literally just off the shelf, with no fish, just cycling and being all new. I will be adding fish to it right after Christmas.

Really cool tanks. I especially like the white rock in your second tank, is it a Fluval?

Can I ask how you're going to cycle your newer tank? A fish-less cycle won't be complete until way after Christmas.

I'm glad you like 'em! And yes it is a Fluval.

Well, I'm Just letting the pump filter the water well and for the cloudiness to clear, which it almost has, and then wait for the anti-chlorine, healthy water stuff to kick in and then it's ready. I'm waiting to get fish after Christmas so it's not as busy.

I'm kind of new at this, so yeah. :)

Nice! I have a Fluval too. They have a really neat design I think.

And may I suggest you do a fish-less cycle? It'll take just as long as a fish-in cycle but would be much more humane for the fish.

What I mean by 'cycle' is the build-up of bacteria in your filter. For the bacteria to develop, they need a source of ammonia (which would normally come from your fish). But as bacteria take a long time to build-up, your fish will suffer from ammonia poisoning until your filter is fully colonised (this can cause death in some cases and can damage the gills and shorten the life-span of those who survive). With a fish-less cycle you artificially add ammonia to the tank, meaning you can cycle your filter without using and harming your fish
wink.png
. Also, you can add your full load of fish straight away when it's done but with a fish-in cycle you can only add 1 or 2 every couple of weeks.

Here is a guide to fish-less cycling: http://www.fishforum...shless-cycling/

Nice! I have a Fluval too. They have a really neat design I think.

And may I suggest you do a fish-less cycle? It'll take just as long as a fish-in cycle but would be much more humane for the fish.

What I mean by 'cycle' is the build-up of bacteria in your filter. For the bacteria to develop, they need a source of ammonia (which would normally come from your fish). But as bacteria take a long time to build-up, your fish will suffer from ammonia poisoning until your filter is fully colonised (this can cause death in some cases and can damage the gills and shorten the life-span of those who survive). With a fish-less cycle you artificially add ammonia to the tank, meaning you can cycle your filter without using and harming your fish
wink.png
. Also, you can add your full load of fish straight away when it's done but with a fish-in cycle you can only add 1 or 2 every couple of weeks.

Here is a guide to fish-less cycling: http://www.fishforum...shless-cycling/

Well, I have never done that before. When I was a kid, we had a large tank with a lot of fish in it which never had a fish-less cycle, some fish survived for about 4 ish years in that! How long would a fish-less cycle usually last with a tank my size (60 liter)? Also a fish-less cycle was never mentioned/suggested by my LFS.

No LFS will mention a fish-less cycle due to them wanting to get a sale of fish, Simple. A fish-less cycle would take up to 4-6 weeks and would be the best way to make sure your tank is safe before adding any fish into the new fish tank, Unless you plan to use the old filter and media from the other tank which reduces the time it takes for the cycle to finish. The chances of any fish living past a week or two in a fish-less cycle is rare and would need you to do daily water changes for weeks to keep ammonia levels down.

I will consider this for the future, but it all sounds very complicated. I don't really understand half of that! I'm a newcomer when it comes to keeping fish. I think I'll get my fish after Christmas and see how that works out. I mean, the tank I had years ago went without a fish-less cycle and it had fish that lived for a very long time and some that didn't. We had a group of Harlequin's that lasted about 4 years and a Clown Loach that lasted 5. I just hope that my new tank will be like that.

But thank you so much for the advice!
thanks.gif

I will consider this for the future, but it all sounds very complicated. I don't really understand half of that! I'm a newcomer when it comes to keeping fish. I think I'll get my fish after Christmas and see how that works out. I mean, the tank I had years ago went without a fish-less cycle and it had fish that lived for a very long time and some that didn't. We had a group of Harlequin's that lasted about 4 years and a Clown Loach that lasted 5. I just hope that my new tank will be like that.

thanks.gif

I wouldn't suggest it as neons will die very, very easily in ammonia even a trace of it so you may be very upset if you try to add fish and go at it. Even one dead fish could wipe out the rest of them in a matter of hours so I'd look into fish-less cycles. So many members on here do it and if your stuck or confused just ask!

KCB gave you a link to fish-less cycles and it would be great if you could read it. If you want happy fish rather than fish that suffer for weeks and weeks then its well worth it :3

thanks.gif

I wouldn't suggest it as neons will die very, very easily in ammonia even a trace of it so you may be very upset if you try to add fish and go at it. Even one dead fish could wipe out the rest of them in a matter of hours so I'd look into fish-less cycles. So many members on here do it and if your stuck or confused just ask!

KCB gave you a link to fish-less cycles and it would be great if you could read it. If you want happy fish rather than fish that suffer for weeks and weeks then its well worth it :3

Well, I'm going to not do the cycle first and put some fish in after Christmas. If they all... don't make it say a week after then I will empty the tank and start again, and do the fish-less cycle. So if one way doesn't work, I'll try the other way.

thanks.gif

Well, I'm going to not do the cycle first and put some fish in after Christmas. If they all... don't make it say a week after then I will empty the tank and start again, and do the fish-less cycle. So if one way doesn't work, I'll try the other way.

If your not willing to do a fish-less cycle then may I suggest adding fish food into the unused tank over xmas to build up ammonia.

yes i agree with techen it is recommended to do a fish less cycle especially if you have some time to kill, you can try getting some bacteria stuff in a bottle to help speed things up may work may not, non the less i love the look of the tanks, cant w8 to see the new one stocked up :) good luck

Well there's nothing we can do to make you carry out a fish-less cycle unfortunately ;). If you're going to go the fish-in route here's another link that will give your fish the best chances of survival: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/. One of the most important things you can buy for your tank is a liquid test kit to test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of your fish tank. You won't regret getting one!

Thank you everyone for your inputs, and I respect them, I really do, and thank you for that.
smile.png

This morning I went for some tank supply shopping, and I found something that I hope will do the same thing the fish-less cycle pretty much does but quicker and in a bottle. It's called 'Quick Start' and it allows safe addition of fish and that it limits ammonia and nitrite and that it helps prevent fish loss. Apparently it reduces fish stress as well I think. It says that it immediately starts aquarium cycle, so I hope this will be the trick to making my water and tank makes a good home for happy fish!

yahoo.gif

I will add 15 ml of it into my tank now. I am meant to add it when adding new fish and when changing water as well. So I will be adding this and anti-chlorine stuff when changing water now I guess.

I hope this will work like the fish-less cycle probably would do.

tetra quick start? i used this for my very first fish in cycle with some sucess, however, these products are only half the battle, you still have to test the water every day with a liquid test kit and change water accordingly,
good.gif

I've never had any results from the bacteria in a bottle stuff, but I hope you get better results than I did.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back