FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ghostknife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Type of setup South American (basically) Community

DSC_0537-1.jpg

Tank 160L, 35UK gallons, Dimensions 36 x 15 x 18 inches

Filtration One Fluval 3Plus Internal Filter, getting an external soon. Also has an air pump.

Lighting One Power-glo Light tube

Substrate Pea Gravel 5cm depth

Decor Granite, slate and quartz rock. Plants include amazonian swords, Vallis sp. and Cabomba (sp?) and various plastic and silk. Other decor includes 2 plant pots and a piece of PVC Pipe

Maintenance 30% water change fortnightly, filter cleaned out at same time, in removed tank water.

Feeding Various flake and tablet foods offered once a day. Bloodworm 3 times a week

Fish
9 Rummy Nosed Tetras (Hemigrammus bleheri)
2 Golden Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare)
1 Black Marble Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare)
3 Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi)(brought as 1 male and 2 females, but actually 2 male and 1 female) (Favourite fish in this tank lol)
3 Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) (not S. American)
1 Half Banded Spiny Eel (Macrognathus circumcinctus) (not south american)
1 Bristlenose (Ancistrus sp.)

Brief history of the tank This tank used to have my polypterus in when they were babies, but they have now all moved out so about a month ago i setup it up again as a tank for South American Fish, but my mum had to put some rainbow fish in it, which ruined the theme lol.

before it had the polypterus in, it had a breeding pair of firemouths, before that, a group of young Black Ghost Knives, before that, a pair of kribensis and some and livebearers. the spiny eel has always been in there, so just stays there lol

Some pics from the tank

DSC_0541.jpg

Rainbows and tetras
DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

The Lake Kutubu Rainbows
DSC_0548.jpg

One of the angels, the others didn't like the camera
DSC_0546.jpg

And the Rams, I love these fish!! and i am so proud that they havent died lol, as they are famous for being delicate.
DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

Type of setup Oddball Community

DSC_0552.jpg

Tank 283L, 63UK gallons, Dimensions 48 x 20 x 18 inches

Filtration One Fluval 4Plus Internal Filter, Fluval 405 external. Also has an air pump.

Lighting One Power-glo Light tube. One Flora Glo light tube

Substrate Pea Gravel 7cm depth

Decor Granite, slate, and a red rock and a grey one lol. Plants include amazonian swords, Vallis sp. and and various plastic and silk. Other decor includes a piece of PVC Pipe

Maintenance 30% water change fortnightly, filter cleaned once a month, in removed tank water.

Feeding Every 2 days the tank gets 6 lance fish and 5 blood worm cubes, the occasional cockle and catfish pellets

Fish
1 Common Plec (Hypostomus plecostomus)
2 Senegal Bichirs (Polypterus senegalus senegalus)
1 Ornate Bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis)
1 Saddled Bichir (Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri ) (Favourite fish in this tank lol)
1 Featherfin Catfish (Synodontis eupterus)
1 Featherfin Knifefish (Notopterus notopterus)
1 Reedfish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus)

Brief history of the tank This tank was brought to house adult polypterus, but it is getting a bit small for them now lol. only 3 fish have ever died from in this tank, and they were a purple spotted gudgeon, a needlefish and a rusty plec. All the polypterus were brought as 4 inch babies and grown up from that size, i am dead proud of them.

Some pics from the tank

Endlicheri
DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

senegalus
DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0563.jpg

ornatipinnis
DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

Syno
DSC_0556.jpg

Plec (hard to photograph)
DSC_0562.jpg

Reedfish (hard to photograph)
DSC_0565.jpg

Knifefish (doesnt like cameras at all)
DSC_0564.jpg

thanks for looking, comments are greatly appreciated

white pipe is for the spiny eel, he loves it

ok so the pipe has a good purpose :good: but imo it looks awful can't you cover it with torn up moss balls or something, just tie it on, it will look loads better. I like the rest and great pics by the way :good:

loveing the bichirs im amazed by these creatures.

only problem is down here in devon they only get senegalus and for a very small ornate your talking £60.

saddled looks amazing

regards jimbo

Beautiful fish, I especially like your South American tank.

I got a new tank, its a replacement for the south american setup, i am only allowed 2 tanks you see lol. Basically the old tank was looking old and run down, and its small so i got a nice shiny new one, and it was cheap, always a bonus lol, anyway here is the info

DSC_0034-1.jpg

Tank 200L, 44UK gallons, Dimensions 100 x 40 x 50 cm. Its a Fluval Roma 200

Filtration One Fluval 3Plus Internal Filter, Fluval 205 external.

Lighting One Power-glo Light tube. One Sun Glo light tube

Substrate Pea Gravel 3cm depth

Decor Granite, slate, quartz lol. Plants include amazonian swords, Vallis sp. and cabomba and various plastic and silk. Other decor includes a plant pot

Maintenance 30% water change every 10 days with RO water, filter cleaned once a month, in removed tank water.

Feeding Once daily on Tetra Pro colour Crisp or JBL colour enhancing stuff, can't remember the name. They get bloodworms once every so often.

Fish
9 Rummy Nosed Tetras (Hemigrammus bleheri)
2 Golden Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare)
1 Black Marble Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare)
1 Ram (Microgeophagus ramirezi) (Lost one before i got this tank, and lost a second in the change over, once the tank settles i am going to get some more)
3 Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) (not S. American)
1 Half Banded Spiny Eel (Macrognathus circumcinctus) (not south american)
1 Gold Nugget Plec
5 Glass Catfish
2 Bamboo Mountain Shrimp

Brief history of the tank
This tank as i said is a replacement for my other old smaller one, the plan with this tank is to set it up for discus, as i have never kept them before, and i fancy a challenge. I got the tank from work, i work at a maidenhead aquatics store, its an ex dispaly tank, we never put water in it, it was just to show what that particular model looked lke, its RRp is £280 and i got it for £90 woohoo.

Anyways plans are to set it up for discus, i am currently in the process of getting the pH level right, it is currently at 7.5 and i want it at about 6.5 to 7, which is proving difficult as my tap water is 8.5 grrr. all over parameters are perfect, and all the fish are fine.
Plans for new fish are:
4 to 6 Juvenile discus
another 6 rummy nose tetras
15 cardinals
3 more rams.

I know it sounds like alot but the filtration is very good, and i am doing regular water changes using RO water. so we shall see it how it goes. I am going to get the discus all at once bt the rest i am going to get very very gradually.

pics soon, but my cam is being stupid, so only the one above for now

Loving the look and st up of your tank. Great pics of ur fish too I also loved my rams had them both for nearly a year and even had eggs which did hatch but was sadly eaten :-( The only thing I don't like is the PVC pipe which just kinda hits u in the face as to say lol :)
[/quote]

yeh that pvc pipe no longer exists, i through it out, and the tank that it is in is now empty and in the loft, the last tank is the replacement lol :D

thanks for the comments much appreciated, yeh rams are gorgeous, geting some more soon when we get some nice ones in at work, we sold all the nice ones lol, only boring plain ones left, dunno why they are such different colours very odd

Most reactions

trending

Back