My tank has live plants in it now!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bettapuppy

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I decided to add some live plants to my betta tank! I added the moss ball a few months ago and it's still healthy so I thought I might try my luck with a few others as well. I added a java fern and two anubias. I keep my LED light on for 10+ hours a day, is there anything else you guys recommend doing to keep these plants healthy other than regular water changes of course, lol.
My betta's fins are currently healing. I believe he ripped them on a plastic plant and I've treated him for fin rot. Please excuse his healing fins :)

Planted tank.jpg

Java fern and anubias should not be planted in the gravel. The leaves are attached to a thick stem-like rhizome, and this will rot if it is buried. The thin roots are OK buried, just not the rhizome. The usual way to grow these plants is attacked to decor such as the stones on the left of the photo and the 'thing' on the right. I tie them on with sewing thread and by the time the thread rots the plants have attached themselves.

I could never keep live plants alive till I tried Java fern and anubias and both thrive in my tanks, growing on pieces of wood.

The betta would also appreciate floating plants. Water sprite is a food floater. They do get quite large, but they also make baby plants along their leaves so when they get too big, just remove the large one and leave the smaller ones to grow.

Other than what @essjay said, I think it looks great! You should consider entering it in the next TOTM contest! :)

I should have said that apart from un-planting the Java fern and anubias, I agree, the tank does look great :)

And fake plants, as the name implies, look fake.

Thanks for the awesome advice guys! I’m off to grab some thread. I’ll post a new picture of my tank when I have my plants re-done.

I'm not a fan of fake plastic plants for the very reason you mention. Fish do hurt themselves on them. There are real live plants that anyone can grow that make for a better aquarium.
I tried replacing the plastic plant with a silk one. It looked good for a few weeks and then algae started growing on it and I couldn’t wash it off. It looked so gross. I think the real ones will look nice for longer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back