My Tank Has Been Overrun By Platies!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

brainyfish

Reaction score
Hi Tropical Fish Forums!
fish.gif

I am new to this forum and I have some questions about my tank.

Right now I currently have a 20 gallon tank which includes 1 pencil fish, 3 fairy cories and multiple platies. My issue is that the platies have been breeding like crazy and now I have way to many platy babies and adults which I had not seen because my tank was so heavily planted. I have recently removed most of the plants in hopes that my bottom feeders would get some of the babies, but they do not seem interested in eating them at all. I was wondering if you knew of any fish that would go well in a community but kill of the platies offspring? 

If anyone has any advice it would be most appreciated.

Madeline 

Almost anything would eat the platies,even platies themselves eat their offspring! I dont think the tank mates are the problem, but the amount of hiding area they have is more of the issue

Why not advertise them free to any one who wants them.i dont your answer is to add more fish to eat them.

Have you got a local fish shop that will take your newly bred fish off your hands?

+1 to giving them away at your local fish shop. 

It was pretty funny first time I kept guppies. I saw my first batch of fry swimming and I was worried about the fish eating them, especially my pair of pearl white angelfish. As soon as the angelfish caught one in their mouth I thought that was it they were a goner, but the fry were too big for their mouth and all I could see was a tale sticking out and they had to spin them right back out after a few seconds of trying to swallow them lol. The fry were fine. 

Most reactions

trending

Back