My System No Dechlorinator

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO you're method is excellent. I think this would largely apply if your water source uses chloramine.
I used to live in Las Vegas and in Colorado. The latter did not use chloramine and in the former, the chloramine was (in the 1990's) a staggering 8PPM! o_O

I have my water collet in a header tank for atleast 48hrs before the auto water change. I believe it allows the chlorine to disapate I would. Like opinions if you think not.
I would say so. But be careful. What you need to do, is decide what you want to achieve and then create a system to achieve that. If you are using an auto feed that is only replacing a small portion of water per day less than 25%, and you are adding dechlorinator to your tank each day then my suggestion would be very slowly reduce the amount of dechlorinator you are using over a period of months and monitor the tank and it's inhabitants. Any changes you make to the way you water change a system has to be gradual, aquariums need to be as stable and constant as possible for the sake of the animals, so don't do anything in a hurry. Make sure that your tank is planted ( 30-50% ) and is acid before you try to do this.

IMO you're method is excellent. I think this would largely apply if your water source uses chloramine.
I used to live in Las Vegas and in Colorado. The latter did not use chloramine and in the former, the chloramine was (in the 1990's) a staggering 8PPM! o_O
Which method do you think is excellent, as there are people describing allsorts on here now

Which method do you think is excellent, as there are people describing allsorts on here now
Yes, it can get confusing depending on when one logs in! I meant I very much like your technique. I'd just be afraid of the chloramine, at least here in LA that is. That may be of no issue at all in some locales.

Yes, it can get confusing depending on when one logs in! I meant I very much like your technique. I'd just be afraid of the chloramine, at least here in LA that is. That may be of no issue at all in some locales.
I know nothing about Chloramine. The only thing I know is this works on an acid system, some dechlorinators are based on Ascorbic acid ( C6H8O6 ), because this is a plant based acid and my tanks are not only planted but acidic, there is no reason not to believe that there isn't some ascorbic acid in the tank. Which naturally works on the chlorine. And in theory should work on Chloramine as well.

I am not promoting this method, this is what I do, I would just like to be able to have a rational discussion about.
I have looked at the science behind it and it is not a myth as some members think.

I am not promoting this method, this is what I do, I would just like to be able to have a rational discussion about.
I have looked at the science behind it and it is not a myth as some members think.
But you stated you now use rainwater which of course has no chlorine in it.
Perhaps it is possible for your other method to work but it requires acidic water. The best method for the average fishkeeper is to use a product like Prime to be sure chlorine is quickly removed or at minimum to leave water used for water change out for a day or two before using it.

Last edited:
I think this thread has run its course. All sides have spoken about methods of dissipating chlorine during a water change. Let's move on from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back