My Sun Coral Diary

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MrLiam

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello after getting my sun coral today I have decided to start a diary for it to show how im going to be caring for it and how it grows (the idea thanks to Sorgan).
So here are some pictures
In the bag
IMG_1922.jpg

In its cave
IMG_1928.jpg

Close up in the cave
IMG_1930.jpg

Enjoy now I just need to wait for lights out to se if it opens up. :)

You may have trouble feeding it in it's cave

Yeah that was what I was just thinking but ill see how I get on if not then it will be out on the sand.

Does it look reasonably healthy?

Looks ok, but the proof is in the pudding :) wait and see if it wants to eat.

I guess it will most likely open when its lights out.

Not open yet but hopefully it will open in the night.

Ill warn you im not very patient. :lol:

I may stay up all night and see if it will open. :D

It hasn't opened yet but it is probably still settling in.

It hasn't opened yet but it is probably still settling in.

Maybe move it a little further out so that you can use the half bottle strategy :good:

First defrost your mysis
Squirt the mysis water over the sun coral
wait
put the half bottle over the coral
tip in the mysis
take photos :p of feeding response

try what seffie said or this

get a food safe bowl/box and fill it with tank water, put sun coral in without it coming out of the water (or it will close up tight)
float the box around in the tank with the lights off and add food juice, amino acids, particulate foods (whatever you have to hand) in the water. dont worry about adding to much, the more the better. leave it alone for half and hour, go back and stir. keep checking to see if it opens and if it does feed each polyp, if it doesnt dont worry as it will be filtering food from the water column, gaining strength to open fully.

repeat this at around about the same time every day untill it opens. always discard the water after wards as it will likely nuke your tank lol.

I shall try the tub one when its lights out and shall report back.

But to be honest its not looking in the fittest state it as starting to show some skeleton and is looking very thin with large craters for heads. :sad:

dont worry mate, as long as it feeds it will recover in a mtter of weeks.

Just done my first tub feed not too long tonight about 40mins but to be fair I had to stand up next to the tank as the current was blowing a corner into the water trying to sink it.

This is how it is looking today one head has dies and has a hole in it. :-(
Excuse the hermit.
IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back