My rosy barb died

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My rosy just died can anyone tell me how he died? Yesterday he got pushed by the water of 2 power filter and today he died. My tanks: 25 inches long tank with 6 rosy, 6 swordtail ,1 small chinese algae eater, 6 kuhlies and bunch of pond and mystery snails, 3 balloon mollies (yeah when i bought these fish years ago, i dont know its a man-made fish never buy it again)

Attachments

• 834B01F1-5846-4BB0-968F-8C2F39CFB26A.jpeg
    834B01F1-5846-4BB0-968F-8C2F39CFB26A.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 342
Looks to have shredded fins my guess would be your fish was being bullied/nipped Chinese algae eaters are aggressive fish. Sword tails can also be nippy and rosy barbs have longer fins.having said that check your ammonia and nitrate levels

Last edited:
Looks to have shredded my guess would be your fish was being bullied/nipped Chinese algae eaters are aggressive fish. Sword tails can also be nippy and rosy barbs have longer fins.having said that check your ammonia and nitrate levels
Nitrate 10 ammonia 0

Nitrates at 10 is right on the edge of being dangerous, so you could always do a partial water change. Id still guess the fish was getting bullied or nipped by other fish.

Your tank is too small for the fish in it. Swordtails grow (or should if healthy) up to 4-5 inches (10-12 cm) and need a longer tank for swimming. They can get feisty with other fish too. The Chinese Algae Eater is not a good community fish and should be removed, it too may be the cause behind the Rosy Barb death but as the CAE grows it can get very nasty.

Your tank is too small for the fish in it. Swordtails grow (or should if healthy) up to 4-5 inches (10-12 cm) and need a longer tank for swimming. They can get feisty with other fish too. The Chinese Algae Eater is not a good community fish and should be removed, it too may be the cause behind the Rosy Barb death but as the CAE grows it can get very nasty.
What about Kuhli loach is it the cause of death?

Agree, it is more likely to have been either the Chinese Algae Eater or one (or more) of the swordtails. This is made all the more likely because of the number of fish in the tank size, this overstocking stresses out all of them and increases the likelihood of aggression and disease.

Nitrates at 10 is right on the edge of being dangerous, so you could always do a partial water change. Id still guess the fish was getting bullied or nipped by other fish.

I'd love my Nitrate to be 10
water out my tap starts at 20ppm before any fish start crapping

Could stress have come from water being too warm for the rosy?

More likely from being picked on

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back