My Roma 200 Progress

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jamepsss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Some pics to show how my tank has grown since I stripped it down a couple of months ago. Pictures aren't great but hopefully you get the idea...

1st January 2011

This was the last photo I took of this tank before I stripped it down. I had allowed it to become too overgrown, the hygro on the left was leggy and although you can't really see it on the pic black brush algae had taken over badly.

9th January 2011

Scrubbed the wood, massive trim, cleaned the back wall as best I could. Decided to do away with all of the sag as most of it was bba covered. Opted to have a go with dwarf hairgrass instead. Trimmed the moss and tied the cuttings to some rocks for the right side foreground. Tank looked depressing, you can still see some BBA on the filter pipes. Started treating with Flourish Excel overdose.

24th January 2011

Time to address the flow. I added an old internal while waiting for delivery of my new 2000LPH filter and Koralia 1 powerhead. Added a Siamese Algae Eater to help with any remaining BBA.

5th February 2011

New filter and powerhead up and running and the plants starting to look much happier. Added some Pogostemon Helferi which didn't last long unfortunately. Also added a couple more crypts front left. Re-homed my Gold Gourami and moved cories to my other tank.

3rd March 2011

This is how it's looking today and I'm much happier with it now than I was at the turn of the year. Time for a trim this weekend.

Looks great, I also liked the overgrown look. Are you running Co2 or do you have a secret for such well growing plants?

time for you to start a journal in the planted section!

Looks very good! :good:

Looks great, I also liked the overgrown look. Are you running Co2 or do you have a secret for such well growing plants?

Thanks. No co2 and no secrets either. All the plants are either easy (java fern/mosses) or fast growing (hygro's). I experimented with foreground plants and for now I'm settled on hairgrass and crypts.

time for you to start a journal in the planted section!

Looks very good! :good:

Cheers Ian. Hopefully there won't be too many changes now so I think a journal would be pretty dull :)

the thing with a journal is to go back and also keep a blog on things in your tank. It's quite an interesting, when you read back some of the journals. You could also keep us updated with vids.

the thing with a journal is to go back and also keep a blog on things in your tank. It's quite an interesting, when you read back some of the journals. You could also keep us updated with vids.

Yeah, I do enjoy reading other peoples journals. I think I'll start one, but from the very beginning :crazy:

great idea!

give us some of the stats in the tank as well, ie, substrate, ferts, plants, stocking etc.

Simply stunning!!!! :clap:

Keith.

I actually prefer the overgrown look in the first photo.. either way, it looks good!

It certainly looks a lot better now. When it was overgrown, it looked smaller than it actually is. :unsure:

I love your tank. Its basically what I wanted my tank to look like. I'm a big fan of rainbowfish as well and have the same type of tank. At the moment I have loads of bba though. Any specific tips for getting rid? I was thinking a siamese algae eater like you but I'm unable to find them right now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back