My Riffle Shrimp And Tanks!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Been a while, lots of cool things to talk about.
My chain sword was dying off really fast and I was advised that the flourish excel I've been adding may have been adversely affecting it. Since I stopped the dose earlier this week there is already some new growth sprouting. I won't dose excel from now on as it is harmful to the chain sword. I'd not expected that and I thought if any plant was to be affected it would be the Vallis.
The catfish are coming out regularly now to eat and explore. I'm currently sitting next to a shoal of the adorable little fellows munching on some wafers. They get along well with the keyholes who are always eager to stake their claim of the food. If any flake reaches the bottom a catfish can be seen shuffling out to suck it up.
The butterfly is doing splendidly. Gorgeous fish. He's grown a bit since I got him. His feeding is really quite spectacular. He just sort of engulfs a pellet that is not too much smaller than him and forces it down with his powerful jaws.
Tank is going very well! :)

The axolotls have run out of pellets. I ordered some more weeks ago but they were only shipped yesterday :S . Hopefully the axolotls will be ok until Wednesday to thrusday next week. If not I might have to go catch some worms or something to satisfy their hunger.

They're very cool Nick! :) It's always rewarding to see the fishes thriving. :good:

I have most phenomenal news to share, today my keyhole cichlids have layed eggs! A beautiful clutch of about 100 tiny little white eggs appeared on the driftwood in plain sight between 9am and 3 pm today. I'll get some pictures tomorrow as the lights are off now. The parents are guarding the eggs happily, no doubt very proud of their new babies. I've not a clue of how to raise the fry and will do some research later today and decide what to do with the eggs. Very exciting times for my family and my fish's family. :D
Any tips would be appreciated as to feeding and rearing if the eggs hatch.
If anyone knows of a brand of fry food available in Australia please let me know so I can find some. :)

Here is the happy couple guarding their eggs.

Female below the wood, male on the top. Large clutch of eggs seen on the driftwood.

Female below again.

Female below.
I've done some reading, the eggs usually take between 3-5 days to hatch and are free swimming a few days after hatching. I don't see any real reason at this point to separate them from their parents or their tank mates. The catfish have shown no interest in the eggs as of yet, Mama Keyhole keeps them well safe. I've noticed that the male seems to guard a larger territory around the tank whereas the female leaves the eggs only to feed. It's only been a few months since I bought the keyholes, I guess I must be doing something right! :D

The eggs were eaten as expected a few days ago. Maybe next time they'll have better luck. :dunno:
I was the LFS today and happened upon a very reasonable bargain of a buy. I've decided to upgrade my little shrimp tank to a slightly larger tank with better lights and filter. It seemed I was having to buy new parts for the old tank every few months to keep it running.
I've bought some gravel and stuff and hope to set it up tomorrow. Gonna completely change it up for my little friends. It's a great looking tank and will be much more enjoyable to maintain and live in than the other one.

Waters still a bit cloudy but it already looks nicer than the old tank did. Not too sure about what plants I bought, they seem like the sort of plants that I will kill with my toxic brown thumb over the coming months. They look good for the time being though. Not sure if I want to fertilize this tank or not. I might add some trace if the plants are looking a bit droopy.

Nice Fish and tank , Might I suggest some floating plants, Water sprite is good.

Yeah I'll probably add some more plants down the track, already one of the plants has died. :D
The 2 keyholes layed eggs again today ( or yesterday I don't know tbh ). I've taken about 5 eggs from the nest as gently as possible and separated the eggs in a net fry breeder thingy so they don't get eaten. I'm not sure if the eggs I've saved will hatch I guess we'll wait and see. Merry Christmas all!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back