My privately owned local fish store

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If I may share some pics I took last week at TROPIC ISLE:

FramFish12.7.231.jpgFramFish12.7.232.jpgFramFish12.7.234.jpgFramFish12.7.235.jpgFramFish12.7.236.jpgFramFish12.7.237.jpgFramFish12.7.233.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile, those of us in towns that have not very good stores say - buy fish. Keep those places alive!

I have a great local fish store. On each fish tank there is a tag that tells what size tank you need for the fish in question as well as the minimum number of fish you must buy to make the species happy. The store has a great selection of fresh and salt water fish. The store recently opened. I hope it can stay in business. Right now they’re the only show in time other than the big chain pet stores.

Meanwhile, those of us in towns that have not very good stores say - buy fish. Keep those places alive!

I started 2 tanks that are LFS themed, I bought everything for each tanks from each store respectively. Up to the siphon and nets. Well except one of the tanks and both lights...

One is a private owned store and the other is a popular chain. At the moment they are head to head. in the technical field. I received good advice and was refrained when Going too far... Good from both sides.

@MaloK The chains where you live (since we come from the same region) are still local ones. Generally, when people here talk talk about chains, they are the massive corporations that exist in the USA - Petco et al. Nature, Yogi (? do they still exist?) or Aqua-Tropicale still have vaguely trained to well informed staff, a and they vary the fish they buy. We were lucky - the corporate ones didn't want to have French signage for what they saw as a tiny market, so they stayed away.

Overhere in our country, we have pet stores as chain stores but no specific lfs chains. All private owners. And that's actually what I prefer as well. For we can arrange much more with a private owned store than a chain store.

Almost all of the fish they have are way beyond me, but I like to look at the fresh and marine shrimp, though they have one species that creeps me out too much... they are beige and look too much like spider-shrimps.

I also notice that certain types of fish are really interested in me when I wander around. I feel 100 eyes on me, turn around, and whole schools of fish are watching me! Others couldn't care less.

Most reactions

Back