My Pleco Died :'( What Now?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_tank0311

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:( one of my plecos died today. its about 4-5cm long, and its a red spotted pleco, im sorry thats all i know about the name. He had some spots on him earlier where the coloring was a bit lighter coloured, and i thought it was normal, but then i woke up in the morning and he had some white coloured soars and things on him, then i went to school, and came home to a belly up pleco, on the bottom, with the other pleco sucking on him [eww, but is that something to worry about]. I have a fighter fish in there, but he hasnt been hassling the pleco (at least i havnt seen it) and i have another pleco, same size and thing, 4 angels, 4 blue gouramis still in the tank. The tank is balanced and doing weekly water change/vacuum about 20-25 percent of the water. What do i do now, i dont want my other fish to die. I guess i should put some salt in, but what else should i do?

PLZZZ HELP.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

The coloured soars did they have any redness to them or pink.
Any excess mucas.

Size of tank is 20 gallons, or 86 litres. Ph level is 7 and is steady, 4 angels, 4 gouramis, and 1 male fighter, and 1 more pleco. ammonia? what the hells that. temp is 27. The soars, um, i didnt REALLY get a good look at them because i was late for school, so i had to rush off, i really am kicking myself i didnt try to do something. the soars, um no, pretty sure they were like whiteish and they had like loose skin on them.

PS: sorry for the late reply. but thanks alot

Either get a good liquid type of water test kit, or bring the water to a shop to have it tested. If you have a shop test it write down the numbers for the results, fine, ok or good are not accurate test results.

That is about double the stocking for a 20 gallon tank, the angels & gouramis will grow & mature, needing much more room for territory. Without knowing test results the best bet is to do a 50% water change every other day, with that stocking it will need that twice weekly minimum once the fish grow. Once those fish mature you are bound to have problems with territorial aggression, resulting in some torn up fish.

Short term, test results & water changes. Long term a larger tank or rehome fish.

I already no what the water quality etc is. Its fine. I know they will grow big, i have plans. But that was not my query. the ph is steady at 7 n stuff. And i dont believe such a big water change is needed, but i have done so anyway.

Until we seen your water test results we are guessing what wrong.

Sores can be caused by bad water quality as well as being other factors involved like parasites, to bacterial.

Take a sample of your water to the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.

For now water changes and increase aeration.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back