My Platy fish is not active and betta's fin is not as colorful as before..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes. The tank sizes are about 1 gallon water. Both tanks have water heater with temperature of around 25. Having stones and Plants are plastic. PH 7-8.
you should get a bigger tank for both fish and babies. they will be happier. at least 5 for platies, at least 3.5 or 2.5 for betta
get plastic or silk plants
you might need to lower ph a little for betta

For you betta you need to up the temp i have mine set at 27c / 79,5f if you can get it around the 79 mark it's ideal and you need silk plants for bettas as the plastic can catch them and rip their tails which would be a shame.
I see. Thanks!

Your tanks are too small for the amount of water you are changing. Not testing the water is keeping you in the dark with respect to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If there is no filter and no live plants the waste is sitting there killing your fish. Also, in agreement with the recommendations regarding water temperature and pH for Bettas (can't help with the platy because I know nothing about them), as well as getting rid of the plastic plants.

What should I do with the platy fish? As he looks not active and like to hide.
I would definitely upgrade to a 5 gallon for both fish - Petco has some great sales right now. Once you get your water tested it'll be a lot easier to know what's going on with the poor little fella. Perhaps your water parameters aren't great.

I see, what are the kits do you use to test water? I only have heater and ph tester, what else do i need to buy to test water?

You need a way to know the following parameters:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
GH
KH
There is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (more accurate), or you can use API 5 in 1 Test Strips (less accurate). I am sure there are others in the market but these are the ones I am aware of.

Last edited:
You need a way to know the following parameters:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
GH
KH
There is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (more accurate), or you can use API 5 in 1 Test Strips (less accurate). I am sure there are other in the market but these are the ones I am aware of.
Thank you, just placed an order on this
1609891247687.png

In the meantime, change 75% of the water and vacuum the substrate. Clean the glass. Do this daily for now until you can figure out what is going with the tanks. Keep close attention to the fish behavior and see if there is improvement.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back