My plants aren’t growing...help :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nadia Cooper

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to the hobby and this is my first planted tank. I have had it up and running for a month and a half now, have plants and fish in the aquarium. I have a Tropica Plant Growth System 60 set up for co2 and a premium nutrition additive that contains iron to help with plant growth. The soil I have is the Tropica aquarium soil. I have the lights on for 10 hours a day. The plants that I have in there are java fern and a few others I can’t remember the name of haha :). I haven’t really seen any growth of plants or spread of carpet plants and one of the plants has slowly been turning brown. At this point, I’m not sure what to do? Change the substrate? Change plants? I’m not too sure and would love some feedback! Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You have blue green algae (Cyanobacteria) growing on the glass and the plant in the second picture. This is usually caused by lots of nutrients, low oxygen levels and too much uneaten dry food.

Doing a big water change (75%) and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week or two usually helps. Try to increase water movement.
Don't bother fertilising for a week when you are doing daily water changes.

-------------------
You need a picture or something on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

What is the pH and GH of the water?
Guppies naturally occur in water with a GH around 200ppm and a pH above 7.0.
Harlequin Rasboras come from soft water with a GH below 150ppm and a pH below 7.0.

-------------------
The plant at the back left looks like Hygrophila ruba/ rubra.

Plant at back in middle is Java Fern. this is a slow growing plant that should be tied to a rock or wood and not buried in the substrate.

Plant in middle of tank looks like Anubis, which is a terrestrial plant and grows really slowly underwater. If you keep it underwater, the leaves usually get smaller. The plant should be tired to wood or rocks so the rhizome is out of the substrate.

Fine fluffy plant at front of the tank looks like Java Moss, which should be tied to wood or rocks. It grows slowly but steadily and is a nice plant.

None of your plants need co2 or high lighting or heavy ferts.

The cyanobacteria Colin referenced needs dealing with, and I concur with Colin's suggestion. You need to get organics reduced, the water changes and thorough substrate cleaning (aslso the filter) and feeding no more than necessary. The plant nutrients may be excessive too. The light I would reduce down to 8 hours daily; use a timer so it is consistent (better for fish too!).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back