MY PH IS TOO HIGH!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Zemo616

Reaction score
Help!!!! My brand betta new tank is in it's fishless cycle and the pH level is super high( It has some driftwood and 2 anubias plants that are newly planted). My driftwood has been leeching tannins in the water even though I've boiled it twice, but i figured I'd go ahead and put it in the tank since I've read it isn't necessarily harmful. But the color was yellow and gross so i did a 50 percent water change. I tested old water and the ph was 7.6. Shocked i retested and sure enough 7.6. I ran and tested the aquarium with the new water and it was still 7.6.What can i do?

The pH is part of a "trio," involving the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness, also termed Alkalinity). What is the GH and KH of the source (tap) water?

Organics like wood, dried leaves, peat, etc may or may not affect the pH; it depends upon the level of the GH and KH as the latter especially acts as a buffer to prevent pH fluctuation. Once we know the GH and KH we will have a better idea.

A pH of 7.6 isn't that high and is nothing to worry about unless you are keeping wild caught Bettas (unlikely), or you have ammonia in the water. Then it becomes toxic due to the pH being above 7.0.

The pH is part of a "trio," involving the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness, also termed Alkalinity). What is the GH and KH of the source (tap) water?

Organics like wood, dried leaves, peat, etc may or may not affect the pH; it depends upon the level of the GH and KH as the latter especially acts as a buffer to prevent pH fluctuation. Once we know the GH and KH we will have a better idea.
I have no idea what the GH or KH are. Im very new to the fish keeping scene. I only have pH, Ammonia, and phosphate tests

I have no idea what the GH or KH are. Im very new to the fish keeping scene. I only have pH, Ammonia, and phosphate tests
go to your local fish store or chain pet store they will hlep you you can bring a sample of water

You should also have nitrIte and nitrAte tests and try to get the liquid test kits... A good all in one kit that most of us use is the API freshwater master test kit. It'll last you a while so you get your money's worth out of it for $25

You should also have nitrIte and nitrAte tests and try to get the liquid test kits... A good all in one kit that most of us use is the API freshwater master test kit. It'll last you a while so you get your money's worth out of it for $25
The one thing I wish API did was add the KH and GH tests to the kit

i dont think that has the water quality ph gh stuff

you can look on your water suppliers website

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Also, 7.6 isn't that high... My tap is at 8.2-8.4 and my KH is 14 meaning it cant be changed much and my tank runs at an 8.0. I wouldnt be too concerned about the PH unless yours does go to 8.0 or your fish is showing signs of stress... You also dont want your PH fluctuating meaning you dont want it to be 7.5 at 7am and then 8.0 at 5pm... Or vice versa...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back