My Pet Fish *^_^* (New Pics Added 26/03/13 :) )

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Well its been a very long time :lol: !

Many years ago in my early days of the forum i used to post pictures of my tanks all the time. But i regularly thought that other people's tanks looked amazing (and had much better photography skills than me!) and i decided that my tanks were nothing special and so stopped posting pictures.
But its been many years now...
I don't think my photography skills are any better (and many people have much better looking tanks than mine), but i've changes tanks a lot over the years and so have decided to post some pictures of my 6 foot tank (6ft long by 2ft wide by 2ft high) ^_^v .

Tank1.jpg

^ It acts as a room divider in my sitting room. It has a huge external filter in one of the cabinets underneith, and a little internal back-up filter inside and 2 heaters. The cabinet & hood have a white gloss surface (hood has glass lids inside too) ^_^v .

Background story: Was a real pain in the bum getting this tank! Love it to bits, but it was custom made by a company called Aquariums Ltd which took months to make it and screwed me around a lot in general. Would not recommend them as a company at all! But i have no issues with the tank itself and as i said before i love it to bits- my pride & joy :wub: !

Anyhoo, the fish :) . My newest additions are some Borneo Suckers. Originally bought 8 of them but 1 perished in the bag (when i went to take them out, it had somehow gotten stuck at the top of the bag outside of the water- no idea how it happened), so as for now there are just the 7. They tend to hang out in pairs most of the time but sometimes gather together in small groups.
They're very endearing little fish- the tank has very strong filtration and when i got them i redecorated the tank a bit and gave them some smooth large rocks to do their stuff on. When stuck to the tank glass, you can see their little hearts beating :good: ! WARNING: There is a fair amount of algae in the tanks. I haven't made any attempt to get rid of it as the Borneo Suckers are a new addition to the tank and they eat a lot of algae (but don't always take to prepared foods) so i'm letting them munch through it for the time being (they were very hungry when i got them as started making a visible impact on the algae in the tank almost straight after being added) :thumbs: .

Hillstreamloach5.jpg

Swordtails. There are lot of these in the tank lol :lol: ! Originally bought 3 females and a male many years ago (all natural grey in colour, otherwise known as "green type"). For over 2 years the females did not produce one fry (seriously!) and eventually the old male passed away. And so when i moved to Southampton in August 2010 the last thing i was expecting was for them to start having fry! Before i knew it i had loads...They did inbreed a bit, but i separated all the related males from the females and bought 3 unrelated males some months back. The males are the hardest to get pics of as all they do is whizz around try to shag the females (they've got 40 to choose from :hey: ). In the end i only managed to get a decent pic of the red one (the other two are yellow with red specks).
Swordtail1.jpg

Swordtail2.jpg

I've always liked my Corys. Here's the peppered ones (the first one is ancient- she's built like a tank, probably about 8-9 years old now? She's so old she's actually faded in colour with age!);
PepperedCory4.jpg

Panda Cory;

Albino Cory;

Another old fish in the tank are the Golden Barbs. I've had them maybe 5 years now? All original :) ;
GoldenBarb3.jpg

There's also my grumpy Common Pleco that i managed to get a pic of- believe it or not, he's over 14inches long! He spends pretty much all his time in his driftwood cave or under the plants though, and only ever comes out for food.

And one of the Clown Pleco's (i was shocked i got a picture of this one at all as they almost never come out from under their driftwood cave pile)- this one is a mature adult (which have less distinctive patterning than the juveniles);

And some of the Harlequin Rasboras :) ;

(^ What i've noticed about these fish over the years is that while very peaceful, they don't integrate with the other fish whatsoever and prefer the big open spaces in the tank away from the planting. They're very hardy though and never give me any problems ^_^v )

There are numerous other fish in the tank (i need to update my profile info at some point) but these are the ones i managed to get pics of for now. Hope you liked the pics, sorry about all the waffling lol!

Your tank is so awesome! I really want a large tank but my wife cares nothing about fish. I think my little 29 gallon will be all I have for a while. I love your white stand and your plecos. Beautiful tank! Thank you for sharing it.

I hate all you 6footers :angry:

Makes me NEED a bigger tank even more haha

Smashin set up you have there :drool: you must be chuffed to bits, I know I would be.

Happy viewing

G

very very nice, i wish i had room for a bigger tank, 4 foots the biggest i can go whilst keeping furniture :rolleyes:

anyhoo its your tank and its very nice but why isnt the water level higher?? always wonder why some tanks arent filled right up??

riffraff

Harlequins are Rasboras from SE Asia, not tetras ;)

Your tank is so awesome! I really want a large tank but my wife cares nothing about fish. I think my little 29 gallon will be all I have for a while. I love your white stand and your plecos. Beautiful tank! Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks :good: ! It was the white gloss cabinet that originally drew me to Aquariums Ltd. Most of the furniture in the sitting room is white gloss so it all goes together quite nicely :) .

really nice tank, i wish i had space for something like that

I hate all you 6footers :angry:

Makes me NEED a bigger tank even more haha

Smashin set up you have there :drool: you must be chuffed to bits, I know I would be.

Happy viewing

G

Haha don't hate us! Its a lot of work looking after that tank- really hate water changes & cleaning the filter with a passion, it takes so much longer to clean than my Juwel Rio400. I used to have 3 Rio400's but sold two and got this tank instead, but TBH its more work to maintain than the 3 Rio's combined.

very very nice, i wish i had room for a bigger tank, 4 foots the biggest i can go whilst keeping furniture :rolleyes:

anyhoo its your tank and its very nice but why isnt the water level higher?? always wonder why some tanks arent filled right up??

riffraff

Largely just my personal preferance :) . But i did lower the water level a bit more than usual after i added the Borneo Suckers (to help increase water movement in the tank, making it more oxygenated etc) and i also added some really heavy rocks to the tank (bit paranoid about the weight of everything inside the tank, although my fears are probably unfounded).

Harlequins are Rasboras from SE Asia, not tetras ;)

Long time no see Lateral Line :fun: ! Ah yes thank you for pointing that out- partly a typo error (also when i first bought them many years ago the local pet shops kept on labelling them as Tetra's not Rasboras and so i got in the habit of calling them that :blush: ).

just out of intrest i can never understand why people have such a low water level you are losing 10-15% of the tank volume and you see the nasty leter line

sick the spray bars on the tank stress bars to get them out of the water

FILL IT UP :good:

just out of intrest i can never understand why people have such a low water level you are losing 10-15% of the tank volume and you see the nasty leter line

sick the spray bars on the tank stress bars to get them out of the water

FILL IT UP :good:

I was going to say similar, keeping it filled right up means you wont get a manky water line :D

Well i did a waterchange last night and decided to give the algae a good scrubbing now the Borneo Suckers have fattened up (although i keep on calling them Hillstream loaches lol), took some pics of the fish today (26/03/12 5:00PM)^_^v ;

Borneo Suckers;
BorneoSucker2.jpg

This one was amazingly well camoflagued to its rock!
BorneoSucker4.jpg

Male Swordtails;
Swordtail9.jpg

I managed to get a couple of semi-decent pics of one of the "Pineapple" male swordtails this time too :thumbs: ;
Swordtail7.jpg

The ladies :) ;
Swordtail3-1.jpg

Tiny Swordtail Fry;

Peppered Cory (on a leaf!);
Cory1.jpg

Albino Corys;

Panda Cory;

Clown Plec;
ClownPlec2.jpg

Young male Cherry Barb;
CherryBarb2.jpg

Female Cherry Barbs;

(Think i'm beginning to get the hang of taking fish pictures, hope you liked them ^_^v !)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back