My parrot fish have black marks on them

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

friarfraust

Reaction score
I got these from my brother. I have 2 in a 40gallon tank, ammonia and nitrites are very low, ph is 7.0-7.1

Both fish act fine, on hs marks on him that are solid black, almost like someone lightly painted his body wish a paint brush, the marks are on the tips of his fins and mouth. the other fish might be getting them also, though i am not sure, my wife claims that they are appearing on the other.

I read up on black spot, but that doesn't seem to be what the have, because these are big spots. My brother says they were dyed and the dye is wearing off. does anyone have any info? thanks. I can take ome pictures later of them if that helps.

this is a sign that the parrot is loosing his dye, (the fish has likely been dyed)

it can come and go over night (the blackness) so nohting to worry about, as they get more mature they will loose it all most likely

Thanks, i actually don't mind it, I named one toast because of it :)

Well, opinions are like @$$holes.......

everyone's got one and everyone thinks everyone esles stinks

:dunno:

My parrots used to get black marks when i had this other cichilid with them that was beating them up so i thought it was injuries?

i thought bps were naturally dark when they were juvis, and when they matured turned into their pinky-orange color....the dark color is actually dye? :(

One of my juvie parrots had a LOT of black on him when i got him but he's turning more orange now. He used to have this cute black strip along his back and head and the head markings are gone now. It'll be hard to tell them all apart once they are all orange. I have a DARK parrot that has stripes, no clue on how its gonna turn out :p

.Occy. said:
i thought bps were naturally dark when they were juvis, and when they matured turned into their pinky-orange color....the dark color is actually dye? :(
They are naturally dark as juvies... I think what everyone was trying to say is that their dye was wearing off so the black was beginning to show through?

Maybe this will help........

Blood Parrots are, a lot of the time, splotchy black when young....along with whatever various colors it has in it. But sometimes when full grown and no longer having ANY markings on them at all, being SOLID pink or orange etc., BPs will start to get black spots......called the infamous "Black Spot Disease".

So, no........the black when young is very normal.

This is what we were talking about ;)

:D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back