My Oscar Keeps Flaring At The Glass And Rocks.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
hes been doing it a week or so now, doesnt do it all the time but enough for me to notice.

at first i thought he could see his reflection but hes started doing it to rocks too.

he opens his mouth and gills and pushes against the rocks/glass.

tank readings were all normal on sunday eve after the weekly waterchange. havent tested again today but as i say, he was doing it before then so its nothing in the water or anything.

Oscar act weirdly. If he's eating normal, then you shouldnt be worried. I would of thought that it would be enjoyable for you to watch him flaring at a staionary object.

i think thats just the way oscars are......my oscar flares at him self even if he just catches his reflection..........loves to watch the tv......and he even flares up at my student wont do it to me or the missus funny buggers eh but thats why you have to love em......whos in tank with him? :unsure:

still think theres something up.

he also scoops sand up and spits it out.

and i kno this is all random cichlid behavior but hes never done it before and really doesnt look happy when he does do it.

normally jus freaks out doing it for 10 mins then stops again.

like an itch he cant scratch.

hes in with a sev, parrot fish, convicts, plecs, silver dollars chalceus and clowns.

Mine randomly does all the things you describe Sam - He can go weeks of behaving normally and then suddenly he'll re-arrange the tank for me and chase my Bala's around for a few minutes and then just as suddenly back to normal. Normal for him is completely ignoring all tankmates and just swimming lengths all day - oh and eating.

Oscar's are very prone to "mood swings" - i can understand your concern but it really does sound like typical O behaviour. :good:

ive only had my oscar for a week and, when i threw in a bit of cucumber for my pleco he flares and shook his body at it :lol:

I think fish are getting a bit horney around this time of year :shifty: .My male golden severum bites rocks and everything, don't be worried.

he's just growing up Sam, sure sign he's coming up for sexual maturity when he starts doing wierd oscar stuff, now is the time to keep a close eye out for aggression issues.

hmmmm still doesnt seem right but ill jus keep an eye on him.

i kno oscars act weird and hes moved stuff about and spat it around since i got him.

jus now when he does the lip locking, sand spitting thing he really looks like hes freaking out.

ill jus keep an eye on him like i say tho and hope hes jus a big weirdo who hates rocks lol.

Sounds like standard Oscar behaviour and nothing to worry about. How old is the fish and how big?
If the fish is close to or over 10" then the Oscar is now sexually mature, age should be about 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back