My Oscar Jumped out of his Tank!!!!!!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tyberiusj12

Reaction score
me and my Oscar were playing around like normal.
id put my finger over the tank and hed jump to catch it. we did it about 3 times then the forth time instead of jumping straight up he came at an angle and flew out the tank landing in between the wall and my mini fridge.
but he hit a wooden axe handle then the floor.
i freaked out and immediately picked him up by hand and put him back in.
I let my adrenaline calm itself, when i noticed he had debris from the floor on his head.

will he be okay?
will he ever play with me again?
is he going to get sick from the debris?

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 62
I'm trying not to laugh because you were playing silly buggars with a fish :)

Assuming the fish didn't do any internal damage and didn't land on its head, it should be ok. You will have to monitor the fish for a few days and if it doesn't eat or act normally, then it might have internal injuries.

The stuff from the floor that is on the fish should be fine as long as it is free of chemicals and the fish doesn't eat it. It is stuck to the fish's mucous and should come off in a day or two.

You can do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate to help reduce the chance of infection.

---------------
The fish will need a bigger tank in the future. Oscar cichlids can grow to over 12 inches long. it won't in the small tank but it could reach 6 inches and the tank is too small for that.

Are these photos taken after his leap of faith? Because if so, he doesn't look too badly off, all things considered! Follow Colin's advice for sure, and hopefully he'll be fine in a week or so, if he didn't do any internal damage when he hit the axe and the floor.

But dude. Seriously. That tank? What is that, 5-6 gallons? For an Oscar and what looks like another fish in there too... you're gonna stunt him if he doesn't die from an ammonia spike or something first, and his flying and falling adventure will be nothing compared to that. Do you have a plan to get a bigger tank? It's madness to get a tank that size then buy an Oscar!

Are these photos taken after his leap of faith? Because if so, he doesn't look too badly off, all things considered! Follow Colin's advice for sure, and hopefully he'll be fine in a week or so, if he didn't do any internal damage when he hit the axe and the floor.

But dude. Seriously. That tank? What is that, 5-6 gallons? For an Oscar and what looks like another fish in there too... you're gonna stunt him if he doesn't die from an ammonia spike or something first, and his flying and falling adventure will be nothing compared to that. Do you have a plan to get a bigger tank? It's madness to get a tank that size then buy an Oscar!
I feel a bit harsh for being so blunt, after seeing your intro thread and your honesty about your mistakes! I do admire that you can admit that, and that you clearly care about your fish! But think of it like more of a motherly telling off, rather than a harsh judgement, you know? Picture me wagging my finger, not mad at you, just disappointed!

You just have got to have a bigger tank for an oscar. Or you gotta rehome him once he's recovered. Always research care requirements before you buy a pet. Make sure you can meet their needs before you impulse buy, because these are living beings.

Okay, nagging lecture over! I truly hope he makes a good recovery, and that you stick around and enjoy the forum! Please update us, and if you spot anything wrong with him in the next hours/days, then update for advice! Keep an eye out for any fluffy white stuff on him or any sores that appear. Keep that water clean with water changes, and sincerely hope he recovers fast! And that you get the giant tank that he's gonna need ASAP ;)

It’s should be fine from the fall but what the plan with it’s home?
Maybe he wanted to jump out ..
Unless your ready to have a bathtub sized fish tank please move that Oscar on , sorry but I didn’t even notice any injuries from the photo all I noticed was the size of the tank

Beyond the tank issue ... there could be some skin damage so you will have to keep the water changes coming to avoid an infection.

He's a predator, and you're playing prey. He'll keep "playing". but leaping at prey he can't get is a common strategy to bring it down. When you upgrade his home, a good solid cover will be needed. The next time he jumps at something, you may not be home. The axe handle. If you keep him in a small tank too long, get the axe out of the room because he may get mad enough to use it!

It’s should be fine from the fall but what the plan with it’s home?
Maybe he wanted to jump out ..
Unless your ready to have a bathtub sized fish tank please move that Oscar on , sorry but I didn’t even notice any injuries from the photo all I noticed was the size of the tank
I really don't want to pile on OP... he's admitted his mistakes in other threads, and I want him to come back and continue to learn! But I looked at a previous thread, and it's actually two oscars and a molly in that five gallon...

I'm trying not to laugh because you were playing silly buggars with a fish :)

Assuming the fish didn't do any internal damage and didn't land on its head, it should be ok. You will have to monitor the fish for a few days and if it doesn't eat or act normally, then it might have internal injuries.

The stuff from the floor that is on the fish should be fine as long as it is free of chemicals and the fish doesn't eat it. It is stuck to the fish's mucous and should come off in a day or two.

You can do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate to help reduce the chance of infection.

---------------
The fish will need a bigger tank in the future. Oscar cichlids can grow to over 12 inches long. it won't in the small tank but it could reach 6 inches and the tank is too small for that.
he attacked me the first time i attempted to hand feed him so ever sense weve always just played around when i feed him pellets.

he appears to be perfectly fine (morning after) comes to the top when i approach and doesn't appear to be hiding

i plan on doing a 50% water change including gravel cleaning this afternoon.

yes the photos were taken after the tragic event. but he appears to be fine atm.

its a 5 gallon :( i do plan on getting him a larger tank, he was originally in the 30gal but him and his roommate (black molly) were bulling the other fish so i moved them both into the 5gal where the redcap orando and upside down catfish stayed.

I bought the 30 gal orginally for the pleco and pictus and oscar but since the relocation, more fish moved into it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back