My Oscar and Pleco...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skellem

Reaction score
Hi Guys, my first post! Looks like a great place.

I have a couple of questions to kick things off! I have had a 6" Oscar for a few months and have recently put in a large Pleco, about 8" long. They seem to get on okay, the Oscar does pick at the Plec when he's sleeping every now and again, but nothing serious. Are these two fish suited to each other? (Maybe I should have asked the question before we got the Plec!) The Oscar needed a tank mate and we struggled to find another Oscar that was big enough. (Besides that, I really like the Pleco!)
The other question is what to feed the Pleco. He does seem to eat the Oscars sticks, but will this give him the goodness he needs?

Thanks in advance, I'll have to get some photo's up soon!

I'm not sure about compatibility, but I do know that most Plecos are big veggie eaters, so I would give him some sinking wafers with algae and cucumber or zucchini is always accepted.

Valerie

Hi skellem

Plecos can hold their own against a Oscar, and are good at cleaning up the bits of food that the oscar leaves behind.

As Val said, make sure that you include some veggie food in its diet.

If you have a common pleco, it will get large, larger than a fully grown oscar.

Thanks Dolphin, the cucumber will go in tomorrow to see if he likes it!

If the plec seems to be getting too much hassel you could make sure that he has a cave/tunnel he can take refuge in or sleep - might not be a bad idea anyway :/

Even if you found another there is no gurantee that they'd get on ...... the best way I believe to get a pair is to get a few as juviniles wait for 2 to pair up and then remove the others.....

btw Hiya and :hi: skellem :thumbs:

:)

I've always kept pleco's and oscars. I have one oscar that managed to kill every pleco that we put in the tank with him, from a very young age. I "grew up" a pleco to be a bit larger than the oscar and put them together, and have had no problem with them together. I always make sure to provide hiding spots. The probelm I have is that the Oscars eat the algae wafers! Perhaps a piece of cucumber would do better. I'd never heard that before. Thanks!

manda

I just tried feeding my pleco's cucumber. I have 3 oscars in different tanks, each with a pleco in it. Anyway, the red oscar is trying to eat the cucumber. He's stubborn enough that he may do it.

manda

man you must of had some whimmpy pelcs cause I kept mine in with my pirhanas for almost a year then I had to move him cause they were sick and had to get treated but that didn't help. and they died. but when he was in the tank with them if they got too close he would bully them not the other way around

I have a 5" Oscar who will tolerate no company other than a small plec of about 2"s.

When first introduced as a cleaner fish I watched with horror as the Oscar "bee-lined" :crazy: :crazy: towards him. He gave him a good look and has left him to go about his business ever since. Nice Oscar :wub: :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back