My Orca Nano Tl-550 Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The Midas blenny are gorgeous fish, but they grow quite large for a blenny, 5 inches and are chunky as well :blink: I seem to recall the min tank size for one is approx 30 gallons, but to be honest I wouldn't put one in an orca 550, there just isn't enough swimming room, they are really busy fish and very funny to watch.

The scooter blenny, as you rightly pointed out are dragonets and need copepods, rotifers to survive long term, even if they are eating frozen mysis etc. As long as you are happy to set up a copepod culture go for it :good: (its very easy)

Seffie x

Hi

Its been ages since my last post and I've added a few things since then check out my video and photos.

Now have a copepod culture I've added some dragonets, an scooter blenny and a spotted mandarin, both have been in for a while and seem to be doing fine, both also eat frozen food. I tried a few techniques to get them eating the stuff, including using a shot glass!lol now I just turn of the pumps and powerheads and let the stuff sink to the floor, I give them 5mins the munch it all and flick them all back on....seems to do the trick.

I'm thinking of sacking the culture? anyone think this a bad idea? as both my dragonets are eating frozen food??? Any thoughts on this both positive and negative would be welcome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7KFWU1HLE&layer_token=0c39b814c6150660
click me!!!!!!!!
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

This is the scooter blenny at night...he buries him self in the sand! how cool..
IMG_0842.jpg

i wouldnt get rid of the culture because they NEED pods to live. frozen foods are fine but they still need pods :good: if you upgrade and have like 90lbs of live rock then maybe.
how do you stop the hermit etc from eating your food in the glass? your tank is looking very clean.

They look lovely :good: but you must, as Harry said keep the copepods, they supply vital nutrition to the Dragonets that frozen doesnt :good:

Seffie x

i wouldnt get rid of the culture because they NEED pods to live. frozen foods are fine but they still need pods :good: if you upgrade and have like 90lbs of live rock then maybe.
how do you stop the hermit etc from eating your food in the glass? your tank is looking very clean.

Hey

Thanks I do spend a bit of time cleaning it daily and water changes weekly on the button. Its just become a part of my routine.

The hermits were a real pain, I used the glass as a training aid to get them on to frozen but i ditched it after about a month as like you said the hermits cottoned on real fast and would just get in the glass, its was funny, I would get three in a line stuck in there! Its was not nice but I would pick them up and place them in the rear chambers on some filter floss, they would climb back out and in the main display, but it would give the mandy and blenny time to chow. As I said now I just turn the pumps etc off and enough floats the to bottom, the mandy and blenny dont let it touch the surface, quit cool to watch.

Ok I'll keep the culture going, As I dont want to lose these guys!

Hey quick question could i keep a scooter blenny in my orca tl550 with 12kgs of live rock without copepod culture?

I must say I;m probably not ready yet for a scooter or madarin but they are beautiful fish. I hope yours are doing well

Simon

Its really easy - all you need is a container, air line and pump, phyto, salt water and the starter culture - mix all together and place on a sunny window sill for three weeks - then bingo :kana:

Seffie x

hey guys

I know its been ages since my last post but thought I'd let you know how its going!

Ill post some pic soon but basically all is fine in the tank...the dragonets are doing well! the Mandy is FAT! seriously. All the other fish seem cool. Corals are looking good, mushrooms splitting etc and two leathers as I split one. Had an issue with xenia growing everywhere but sorted that now.

Got myself an RO unit...man that has saved me some fuel! and noticed that my tank is so much cleaner as I think the water I was getting from the LFS was buckaroo!

Only thing Id say is that Im not having any luck with my hammer coral (green with purple tips).... it had three heads, two have died and the thirds looking on its way out?

Anyhow I'm on the look out for a bigger tank...thinking about 4 ft x 2 x 2.

Cheers guys

CoMan

This is how things are looking now

P1050503.jpg
P1050483.jpg
P1050408.jpg

P1040018-1.jpg
P1050490.jpg

P1050419.jpg
IMG_0426-1.jpg
P1040012-1.jpg

P1050420.jpg