My Nine Day Old Pit Bull!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I now think she was a)scratching at her collar and b) discovering she has a tail,Shel! lol
Will make a note of the blg addy atti! Let us know when it goes active!

The blog is up and running, though I'm still attempting to get all the sections the way I want them.Ā 
Ā 
Currently, Huxley is sleeping on my foot at my desk. Teddy is crying because she took his spot when he got up to have a chew on a rope toy. He's a bit of a jealous thing, but I think he's handling having a new sister very well.Ā 

They are funnyosities aren't they? Freddy has just started to stand up to Ginger today which is a good thing imo.

Yeah it is. He should create a few boundaries with her. Snapping is normal. It is even okay for Freddy to bite her. He should be teaching her some manners. Of course, if it gets into anything more serious than a nip, I suggest you crate and rotate until everyone is happy with each other.

Teddy won't let Huxley, for example, try to jump on the couch. He'll also growl and snap at her if she tries to put her mouth on his front legs which are always in pain (he was born with a pretty bad bone disorder). Ruca does the same if Huxley tries to pull too hard on her jowls and Dylan won't put up with any sort of display of dominance, which Huxley has only tried with Dylan because he is in bottom rank.

Not sure what you mean by crate and rotate, but Freddy seems to have established his dominance altho Ginger's a bit of a madam and still tries it on. He had her by the neck thisĀ morning, nothing nasty just saying I couldĀ if I wanted to and some serious loud barking when she persists. Mostly she submits and rolls on her back exposing her belly to him.
In contrast they are now both asleep on the settee!
smile.png
Ā Ā Ā 

That's cute! And perfectly normal. Actually, what I do with young puppies is while they are resting or relaxed, I cover my teeth with my lips and gently "bite" the puppy's neck. This mimicks an older dog displaying dominance and helps keep a pup aware of her place.

"Crate and rotate" is a method used by some people who have dog aggressive dogs or who have dogs who don't like each other yet. Essentially, it means one dog is in a crate for an hour or so, while the other dog is outside of the crate enjoying free time. Then after an hour (or however long), the dog in the crate is released and the other dog goes in the crate. This reduces risk of contact between the dogs, but it allows the dogs to get used to each other's scent and presence. Furthermore, it helps a dog realize that he does not "own" anything. This practice is best for people who are fostering an unruly dog or who expect their two dogs to eventually learn to like each other. I do not recommend this as a long term solution for dog aggression. Some people also use this method if they have a female in heat and an intact male but do not wish them to breed.

Love the picturesof Huxley in POTM. I'm going to leave Ginger's pictures til June as I haven't really got one I like of her yet and I don't to compete with Huxley. One cute puppy a month is probably enough. lol

I have a Huxley update!

We now weigh 13.2 pounds. We are big enough to hop onto the sofa without assistance (first time accomplished: fifteen minutes ago). We now whine to go outside, but we still have accidents. We are four inches taller than the smallest dog in the pack, two inches than the second largest.

At ten weeks old, we never went through the nervous stage which appears at around nine weeks and generally lasts only two or three. We are now going through about two cups of food a day. We know sit and stay and wait. We know down but hate practicing it. We have a favorite toy (a panda). We have discovered walking other dogs by pulling on their collars (which have been removed until we go on outings).

Sadly, the baby breath is on its last legs. I can barely smell it these days. Huxley is gaining about two pounds a week. It seems all her weight translates into height as her legs are getting mighty long.

Also, Huxley has a UTI and a bit of an eye infection. It appears she scratched her third eyelid. Last night her eye was swollen and crusted shut with pus so she went to the clinic with me today. We are armed with antibiotics and eye drops and the decision to not spay her until after her first heat.

She and her brother are very welcome sights. Today was very hard. I had to euthanize a dog today. This was my second. It was harder than the first one.

Huxley sounds like she's making good progress! Sorry to hear about her UTI and eye infection - hope they resolve soon! Ginger's got her 2nd jab today and she'll be chipped at the same time. Soon we'll be able to take her for walks and use up some of that energy that I wish I had. She's quite a contradiction at the moment - Ā eitherĀ a ball of energy or she's zonked out! lolĀ 
ReĀ euthanizing that dog, just think that you were helping it to a peaceful death.

Her eye is already looking way better. She hates the drops, but they really help, and she loves her antibiotics! It's an oral solution and she thinks it is delicious.

I love that stage you are talking about. I'd exercise her in bursts, like right when you wake up, before lunch, etc.

I just pulled into the shelter (this is my paying job, the vet clinic is just less frequent), and I'm still thinking about Max. I'm hoping my favorite dog isn't gone today. Hopefully he's just moved from transition to adoption.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back