My nightmare experience with silvertip tetras

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So recently one of my silvertip tetras in my 145 l tank passed away from lockjaw along with the effects from relentless bullying and fin damage from the other silvertips.
I buried it myself in the garden outside the house the same day.

Several of my silvertips now suffer from lockjaw and I will euthanize the rest of the silvertips because not only are they bullies they have also stressed out several of my tankmates and among themselves by chasing them even to the point of death such as killing one of my marbled hatchetfish with only 4 remaining now because one of them jumped out of the tank and died.

I had 10 silvertip tetras to prevent aggression but that did not do much in terms of stopping aggression because they still kept on attacking each other and the tankmates and now only around half of the silvertips are still alive.

I will have to replace the fish they killed
gradually but eventually my tank will be restored to it's former glory.

Even my peaceful cardinal tetras have decreased somewhat in numbers from at one point being 15 of them to 12-13 now.

The only fish that have not been affected are my German ram cichlid , my 6 corydoras duplicareus catfish and my 2 otocinclus catfish because they are nocturnal.

I am thinking of increasing the amount of cardinal tetras along with some exciting new additions such as the firehead tetras and the banjo catfish that can be fed at night.

It's possible the tank was too crowded but I find that kind of unlikely because my tank was no where near crowded for a tank this size and I would have noticed it right away.

Yeesh, I always thought they were rather peaceful, if kept in large groups. Maybe it's because you only had 10? Sorry for your loss. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back