My New Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

slakey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all, since I've started working at a pet store. *been there a month now*.

I've got back into fish keeping.

I bought myself an AquaEl Econoline 70, which is a 98 litre tank, just recently replaced the filter from what came with the tank to a Eheim Classic 2213.

I'm hoping to have the stock list as:

• Pair of German Blue Rams
  • 6 Metae Corydoras
  • 3 Otto's
  • Shoal of Galaxy Rasboras
I went with sand because I personally think it looks a lot better then gravel.

The wood in there at the minute is marsh root and I do have 3 bits of slate in the tank as well, but they are covered with sand.

As for plants there are none as of yet, but next week I should be getting 6 pots of Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parulava), and unfortunately that is as fair as I can think when it comes to planting this tank, so would greatly appreciate some help in the plant department.

I won't be using a CO2 system but I will be using Seachem Flourish Excel, once I get the water tested this week I will post the results on here.

Anyway time for the pictures.

Full tank shot:
DSCF3686.jpg

Looking down one side:
DSCF3687.jpg

Covered slate cave:
DSCF3688.jpg

Where the Dwarf Hairgrass will be placed:
DSCF3689.jpg

The piece of Marsh Root:
DSCF3690.jpg

Sorry for the water marks, shall give it a good clean up once the plants and fish are in, as I'll no doubt spill more water down the glass in the process of both lol.

Nice setup Slakey. I'd probably go for 6 Oto's in the long run? Just to give them that sense of security. But a nice stocking :good:

James.

Looks like a nice stock list :D

Tank looks good I like the burried cave as well good idea! But the sand is really really deep, do you really need all of that? I would worry about dead spots in the sand just something to bear in mind I reckon.

Wills

Okay thanks, I am also considering Kuhli Loaches, just to help the Cory's stir up the sand a bit :)

Looks like a nice stock list :D

Tank looks good I like the burried cave as well good idea! But the sand is really really deep, do you really need all of that? I would worry about dead spots in the sand just something to bear in mind I reckon.

Wills
Yeah I did think that about the sand. But I had to go with that much to make the buried cave and also with the wood.

If the tanks was longer I would've thinned the middle out.

Also the slate pieces are rather large and I wanted to cover them entirely so that much was needed.

I may be able to thin it down though.

yeah if it were me I would have it a lot shallower its taking up a lot of water space - you see on the pics the lighter band that sits on top thats kind of the depth I would do though to be fair my tank is even less as I kept getting dead spots so I got the bare minimum I could manage with.

Wills

Hmm maybe I could re-scape the tank so the wood is on top of the slate, so there would be only one big mound then the other side wouldn't be as much sand...

Also I may be buying a 2ft Aqua Medic OTL 150W for £90 next week, which would mean, I wouldn't need to worry it the wood sticks out of the water as it will be an open top.

I've re-scaped the tank and lost a fair amount of sand, I may be able to lose more, but the water is too cloudy to see, so hopefully get pictures up tonight maybe if the water clears in time, if not it'll be tomorrow after work.

Nice set up you have there :good: Khulis will be nice in that sand, only thing I would suggest is a backround, it will hide cables etc, I am seriously no good with the planted side so I can't suggest anything other than what I have which is Java Fern, lots of it, it grows easy and is a slow grower, sometimes I loosen off a little clump and just let it float around the tank. Good stuff though, hope to see some more pics. as it progresses :good:

Okay it's not 100% clear but you can see what I've done :)
DSCF3691.jpg

DSCF3692.jpg

Also I will be buying a black background once I can locate some lol.

I'm also thinking of putting Java Moss over the Marsh Root, but I'm not 100% sure at the minute.

Top marks mate, composition much better already, You could tie some fern to the wood till the roots take. Cabomba(spelling) and elodea(spelling) are easy plants, I think you're onto a winner mate :good:
Looking forward to seeing pics. when it's stocked :good:

Thanks for the kind words, first time back into fish keeping, been out of it for like 2 years.

Hopefully I can plant it out correctly.

I'm thinking some dwarf hairgrass around the wood and the cave and then maybe 3 pots in the front right hand corner.

Hey just a lil update.

Bought and added three plants yesterday, I think they are Hemianthus callitichoides

Here are some pictures:
dscf3694.jpg

dscf3695l.jpg

I was told that I can take off the foam stuff, and then break it up and hold it down with cotton line, which is what I'm going to do, and then put it on the top piece of slate :)

Should hopefully look good.

Looks much better :D really nice set up - if you leave those plants on the sand it will spread like a carpet :D Which would look awesome - are you going to use CO2 on here? You could put some Blyxa Japonica near the wood and it would look amazing just the combo of those 2 plants with that composition in the tank :D

Really nice tank :D What fish are you planning in this tank?

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back