My New Pair Of Kribensis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FawnN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I never thought it would be so hard to find a pair of Kribensis.  After several months of hitting every LFS, I finally found a young pair on eBay.  Yeah!!!  Aside from my GBR's, these are my favs! They are such great parents!!!  I can't wait for my first spawn.  

YoungPair111214_850.jpg

Very nice 
smile.png
my pair are still being model parents with their 40 or so fry, still wondering what I am going to do with them all lol.

You can always sell them on Aquabid.  You won't get rich, but the extra cash does help for purchasing other fish and supplies.  lol

Malex530 said:
Beautiful fish! How much were they?

This pair was only $15 and the shipping was $15.  These guys are pretty cheap now a days, but they are super hard to find.. at least here in my area.  And... I think I just got my first spawning from them last night.  They have been remodeling their tank with piles of sand around the drift wood.  And she keeps dashing in and out from the little nooks of the driftwood.  When I took a look at her this morning, she seems a lot thinner.  They are young and I'm hoping they don't eat the eggs like my Rams have been doing. 

As I suspected... my pair did spawn last week.  Super protective mom finally allowed them to have their first outing.  At first peek, I was totally surprised at all the wigglers.  Pretty big batch for her first spawn.  Daddy and mommy are proving to be super awesome parents!!!  They were out for only a little tiny bit and got sick of me peeping at them. They sucked them all up and brought them back inside the safe nook of the driftwood.  Can't wait to see them actually swimming and get a final head count.  :)

I finally got a picture of my Kribensis fry.  They have grown so much and are attempting to swim around.  I can't get over how much bigger they are than my GBR fry.  

KribensisFry112414.jpg

I can't get over how different they are as parents too versus my GBR.  Her first spawn and she and dad already know what to do.  After 3 spawns with my GBR and Mom still wants to eat them.  I love watching my Kribs... they're proving to be super awesome and very protective parents.    

Aww lovely 
smile.png
that's all a distant memory for me now lol,  mine spawned again just the other day and I was planning on syphoning the eggs out as I don't have anymore room but the youngsters took care of them for me and ate them all! the parents could do nothing but watch, still extra protein for the growing youngsters I guess!

betta fish said:
Aww lovely 
smile.png
that's all a distant memory for me now lol,  mine spawned again just the other day and I was planning on syphoning the eggs out as I don't have anymore room but the youngsters took care of them for me and ate them all! the parents could do nothing but watch, still extra protein for the growing youngsters I guess!
The circle of life, right?  I have a feeling I will be in your same situation real soon.  Mom is beginning to slowly get full again and I would imagine that she will be spawning for me every month.  I just love watching them.  I caught mom moving the fry from the cave to the driftwood this morning.  Surprised she can carry so many of them in her mouth at one time.  From the amount of trips back and forth she did this morning moving them out, I would guess that I have about 50 + fry I'll need to feed soon.  YIKES!! 

Update picture on my Krib fry.  I had to switch out my penquin filter to a sponge filter on Thursday night.  Came home and noticed there were no fry in the tank and I knew they didn't get eaten since they are the only ones in my 25 gallon.  Sure enough, they were all swimming in the filter canister.  They are growing pretty fast and getting some color on them already.  

I've lost count, but I think I have at least 40.  If anyone wants some in a couple of months, let me know.  :)

MomandFry112914.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back