My new “old” hobby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tetratopia

Reaction score
Hi everybody! This is my first time joining a forum of any kind, and I spent some time browsing several before choosing y’all. So please forgive me, I’m not familiar with all the lingo, abbreviations and forum features yet. Sorry if this is lengthy, but it’s just an intro, otherwise I usually like to keep things short and sweet.

New to forums but not to fish. I’ve had tropical freshwater aquariums my entire childhood and into my college years. I still remember my very first goldfish in that flat-sided glass bowl with mini castle decoration…omg I hate that I didn’t know any better then 🤦🏼‍♀ Graduated through several size tanks (and multiple), settled with a 75g Oceanic which my was absolute pride and joy. (At one point, had a 150g that sadly just never even got off the ground.) Through the years, I had tetras, various cichlids and just about everything in between.

Then my life took a different turn with military/travel and my hobby was put on hold. After a few years of starting and stopping things again, I am finally back into it! A lot older and a lot wiser, I found that I love it more than ever. Looking back, I know I was somewhat ignorant about water chemistry, testing, cycling, etc…but rarely ever had any issues being successful at fish-keeping. This time around, more research and understanding.

I have my primary 20g tall…and a 10g quarantine tank turned “temporarily permanent”. Mostly tetras and cories, with some plecos and barbs…trying to keep things uncomplicated. In progress: second 20g to divide current fish up, give them more space and increase school size. (I’ve also had several goldfish ponds with great success and just as much enjoyment.)

Unfortunately, smaller tanks are what I have room for at the moment, still trying to squeeze one in wherever possible! I go by Petco every week, see what new stock has arrived, totally aware that I can’t get everything I’d like to. Yet. Goal: back to that 75g after this house-hunting roller coaster ride is over 😩

Glad to be here to learn, share and have fun!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

We try not to use abbreviations in forums so everybody knows what is said and there is no confusion over what the abbreviation means. Just write normally and simply and you will be fine. Like your intro post, nice, well written and with paragraphs, oh I wish everyone used those. It makes it so much easier to read and follow :)

Hi everybody! This is my first time joining a forum of any kind, and I spent some time browsing several before choosing y’all. So please forgive me, I’m not familiar with all the lingo, abbreviations and forum features yet. Sorry if this is lengthy, but it’s just an intro, otherwise I usually like to keep things short and sweet.

New to forums but not to fish. I’ve had tropical freshwater aquariums my entire childhood and into my college years. I still remember my very first goldfish in that flat-sided glass bowl with mini castle decoration…omg I hate that I didn’t know any better then 🤦🏼‍♀ Graduated through several size tanks (and multiple), settled with a 75g Oceanic which my was absolute pride and joy. (At one point, had a 150g that sadly just never even got off the ground.) Through the years, I had tetras, various cichlids and just about everything in between.

Then my life took a different turn with military/travel and my hobby was put on hold. After a few years of starting and stopping things again, I am finally back into it! A lot older and a lot wiser, I found that I love it more than ever. Looking back, I know I was somewhat ignorant about water chemistry, testing, cycling, etc…but rarely ever had any issues being successful at fish-keeping. This time around, more research and understanding.

I have my primary 20g tall…and a 10g quarantine tank turned “temporarily permanent”. Mostly tetras and cories, with some plecos and barbs…trying to keep things uncomplicated. In progress: second 20g to divide current fish up, give them more space and increase school size. (I’ve also had several goldfish ponds with great success and just as much enjoyment.)

Unfortunately, smaller tanks are what I have room for at the moment, still trying to squeeze one in wherever possible! I go by Petco every week, see what new stock has arrived, totally aware that I can’t get everything I’d like to. Yet. Goal: back to that 75g after this house-hunting roller coaster ride is over 😩

Welcome to the forum! Im sure you'll love it here!
Out of curiosity, what do you have in your 20H? I only ask because mine is cycling rn...

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

We try not to use abbreviations in forums so everybody knows what is said and there is no confusion over what the abbreviation means. Just write normally and simply and you will be fine. Like your intro post, nice, well written and with paragraphs, oh I wish everyone used those. It makes it so much easier to read and follow :)
Haha thanks, I’ve always been called grammar police😬 welllll?? Communication is key! I’m not perfect but I take the time to do things right. Usually. Fun first day!

Welcome to the group.
My local Petco is nice & i bought two 40 G long tanks there for ~$45 each. They often have 20% off a >$50 order placed online & picked up. Many of their chemicals & foods etc are competitive with Amazon.

Welcome to the forum! Im sure you'll love it here!
Out of curiosity, what do you have in your 20H? I only ask because mine is cycling rn...
Thank you! In the 20 I have:

4 albino Cory cats (2 parents, 2 offspring)
3 diamond tetras
3 serpae tetras
3 Von Rio tetras
1 black emperor tetra (still looking for buddies!)
3 long-finned cherry barbs
2 juvenile bristlenose plecos (1 regular, 1 albino)

Overstocked maybe, but water parameters are pretty good and steady and I take the time to do regular maintenance. But I have plans to improve their living situation soon.

Welcome to the group.
My local Petco is nice & i bought two 40 G long tanks there for ~$45 each. They often have 20% off a >$50 order placed online & picked up. Many of their chemicals & foods etc are competitive with Amazon.
Thank you! Yup I love my local Petco! They have a vast selection of fish and a very knowledgeable sales girl. They frequently have their all-glass tanks on sale for half off. I get most of my supplies on Amazon or Petco/Petsmart.

Thank you! In the 20 I have:

4 albino Cory cats (2 parents, 2 offspring)
3 diamond tetras
3 serpae tetras
3 Von Rio tetras
1 black emperor tetra (still looking for buddies!)
3 long-finned cherry barbs
2 juvenile bristlenose plecos (1 regular, 1 albino)

Overstocked maybe, but water parameters are pretty good and steady and I take the time to do regular maintenance. But I have plans to improve their living situation soon.
That is a lot in the tank! But, I'm sure with your vast experience you are able to use counter measures!

Welcome!! I look forward to you sharing with us your fish, tanks, and experience.

Just a side note, the active hours are all over the place here, as the participants are all over the globe.

Welcome.
You’ll find that there’s some very knowledgeable posters on here, some not so knowledgeable. Unfortunately I myself don’t know enough to even qualify for the last category.
Hope you have as much fun back in the world of fins as you’re obviously hoping too.

Welcome!! I look forward to you sharing with us your fish, tanks, and experience.

Just a side note, the active hours are all over the place here, as the participants are all over the globe.
That works, my brain is all over the place!

If you got enough plants, I reckon there's easily space for even more at least in terms of the shoal sizes you are obviously thinking of, the bioload is likely smaller per liter than what most people will happily house goldfish or oscars in, and you are far from crowded in terms of swimming space.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back