My New Multifasciatus Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mislisa

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just thought i'd post an update on how my 20g multifasciatus (sp?) tank is doing. The tank has been cycled with mature media from my 55g and the fish are now in! I have 8 (possibly 9) multies of unknown sexes. I actually got them the day before I got my shipment of shells, so the fish didn't have very many at first. they have lots now though! the shells are much bigger than I thought they'd be, a tad too big I think, but the multis seem to enjoy them!

First day: (don't mind the ceramic blocks, i had to take them out to make room for the filter floss :) )
IMG_0147.jpg

What the tank looks like now:
IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

oddly enough, a few have decided to live under the rock... i've seen them digging a bit around the back corner. Thankfully, i thought ahead and made sure it was resting on the bottom!!

Oh, and are there any dither-type fish that can go in with them? The top of the tank is quite empty, as the multies will only venture about 2-3 inches from the highest shell. Any ideas??

I have zebra danios with mine.

Hi everyone, I just thought i'd post an update on how my 20g multifasciatus (sp?) tank is doing. The tank has been cycled with mature media from my 55g and the fish are now in! I have 8 (possibly 9) multies of unknown sexes. I actually got them the day before I got my shipment of shells, so the fish didn't have very many at first. they have lots now though! the shells are much bigger than I thought they'd be, a tad too big I think, but the multis seem to enjoy them!

First day: (don't mind the ceramic blocks, i had to take them out to make room for the filter floss :) )
IMG_0147.jpg

What the tank looks like now:
IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

oddly enough, a few have decided to live under the rock... i've seen them digging a bit around the back corner. Thankfully, i thought ahead and made sure it was resting on the bottom!!

Oh, and are there any dither-type fish that can go in with them? The top of the tank is quite empty, as the multies will only venture about 2-3 inches from the highest shell. Any ideas??

i thought zebras like a ph of ~7? mine is above 8 (can't remember the exact number atm) i've also had guppies or platys suggested... are there any other fish that might work? i'm just looking at the different options right now, it'll be a few weeks before i can get more fishies.

I'd leave it as is. These guys are pretty sensitive to nitrates and changes in water perimeters, so it's not wise to fill the tank to the brim with fishes, especially if they're incompatible.

Agee with Onidrase there Mislisa your tank is looking ok imo ,there will be loads going on in there when they start to spawn,and looking at your pics you have at least one male for sure ,so standby for some fry soon

I'm just looking to have some activity at the top... The multis only venture a few inches from the bottom.
I'm not concerned about the water, as I am doing regular weekly water changes.

Ok Mislisa I know some tang set ups use Australian Rainbow fish(Melanotaenia) as upper water dithers,myself I like to keep to the Tanganyikan bio type ,but in a smaller tank like yours the normal tangs for the upper water ,Cyps and Paracyps just wont work,there are some very colourful Ozz rainbows just a matter of finding some.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back