My new marine setup

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

whacky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
That 6ft tank i have empty i have decided to build a stand a nd make a 6ft reef tank out of it

I will be having the biggest sump i can fit along with a big skimmer a lr

also im going to have either a dsb or plenum the question i have is which is better dsb or plenum along with what is the best dsb depth, i reckon about 4" is good but i have seen anywhere betwenn 4and 6

Whacky, with a reef, definitely a DSB. Plenum won't work with the live critters in your sand, which is part of the reef ecosystem. DSB should be at least 4 inches. We can search around together for your best sump set-up. With a six foot tank you can have a few cool options that I can't fit under my four footer. Like a quarantine system, or a refugium. We have been considering boosting our size up so I can have more fun under the stand. Kinda like a mad scientist.. :thumbs:

More fun under the stand ehh GL i dont want to know..... no i do :laugh: :D :laugh:

As for the sump i been looking at a few sites over your way any there seems to be a much wider choice over there compared to here... i think some kind of home made affort will be in order.

I have also got the luxury of building the stand to fit the sump as long as it matches the furniture :D

also im being a bit dim what exactly is a refugium?? :what:

:p Davy a DSB is a deep sand bed you wanna know more

Whacky, I only have a few moments right now, gotta run. But I will get on later and give you some ideas.

Whacky, a refugium isan additional tank that also has a dsb. Peeps grow their macro algae and pods in it undisturbed by predators. When you build your stand, make it as tall as you are comfortable with. Also provision it with lighting. I would think about a couple of large tubs for sumps in the bottom instead of one huge one. I have been looking for a cool set-up I saw. I will find it and post a link.. :thumbs:

Its going to be about 30" high need it that high so i have room for a skimmer well room to move it remove the colection cup etc

Whacky, here is an example of what I plan on doing. I don't have the second tank yet for the refugium, but plan on adding it. Very simple straight forward an cheap! This guy gets an A+ in my book.. :thumbs:

sump

Mac, simple and cheap, two words reef keepers love to hear, it lets us spend more money on other things..lol.

And the pictured set-up is under a 90 gallon. Whacky has a couple more feet to work with, he can probably fit three tubs under his stand.

I have to try to find the link on the crazy guy with the 350 gallon refugium for his tank. He is a fine example of one getting carried away..

Thanks GL that looks like a great idea i have several similar containers already so that may be a good start, but im still looking around for the ideal solution but that is the closest yet i think.

the guy with the 350gal sump is he the one that has drilled down into the basement through the kitchen floor and got it under the stairs? That was pretty cool.

Whacky, he had it in a neighboring room, along with a 150 gallon mangrove tank I believe. I have been looking, but can't find it yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back