My New Killifish Hatchery

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Geordiehc

Reaction score
I recently bought some killifish eggs from a member of this forum and also some microworm to feed them, is the setup i have adequate?

For the Micro Worm:
I mixed porridge and smeared it on the bottom, then sprinkled activated yeast on the top, and then pured the microworm on top. I have this now sitting on my culture shelf in darkness

random046.jpg

For the Killifish:
I filled the container with 1 inch of mature water from my fish tank and then poured the peat + eggs bag into the water
Again this is sat on my culture shelf in the dark

random047.jpg

Does this look ok? Have i done it right? thanks

eggs are right,, the microworm container could have more porridge or oats in it.. i have 3 on the go but i always put about 1 inch all over the bottom of container....im not saying your wrong but i always done mine without any crashes/losses..also you need smallholes on top to allow air to get in...i heat a needle and pop it through the lid twice around the centre of lid..i put fresh oats on top about 5 or 6 days later.. i add about 4 times over a couple of weeks then i start a new container and scoop some of the old culture on top of the new stuff and begin again... i have 3 lots on the go so if 1 crashes i still have others to fall back on...dont overfeed fry with microworms as it puts a scum on top of water and goes off quick.. if you have any moss add a bit to the container with the eggs in or better still into another container with same tank water in it and as the fry hatch catch them and move to the container with moss in and no peat --if you feed the fry in container with the peat in it the microworms will bury into the peat and pollute the water--also if you dont get many eggs hatching after 2 days from wetting you can dry the peat again and wet in a couple of weeks and you will get more fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back