My new Java ferns

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score

I bought two pots on eBay. I was going place them container & all in tank & decided to reread Listing. Guy says tie them to something.
D65C78BD-14FD-4EC5-B49E-8C7E7D5FC028.jpeg

1 POT OF MICROSORUM PTEROPUS JAVA FERN​

Originating from Asia the Microsorum pteropus is one of many different varieties of this species, each with their own leaf shape.
This plant is extremely undemanding and will grow best tied to rock or wood. Light isn't an issue as this plant will grow well in both low lighting and high lighting tanks.
You will receive one pot with 2-3 rhizomes in each pot. Please remove from pot before planting. Never bury the rhizome in the substrate. It's best to tie to either a stone or piece of driftwood.
Botanical nameMicrosorum pteropus Java Fern
Light demandlow
Difficultyeasy
UsageEpiphyte (grown on hardscape), Foreground, Midground
Growth rateslow
pH value5-7
Temperature68 - 86°F
Hardness1 - 14°dKH
Max. Size4-8"

Available as a potted plant as shown in the photos. You will receive 1 potted plant with about 12-15 leaves.

I have tied them to rocks and driftwood with thread or glued them on with a small drop of super glue. Really cool once they get going and start to fill out and spread.

Too late! I had trouble with some thin fishing like line that was used for some fake jellyfish I removed from a secondhand tank. I shoved some plants into the sand in one tank & the other into the gravel. My other Javas, apparently larger varieties, are doing fine after being directly placed in the subtrate.

Didn‘t think of super glue, so thanks. May try that later

It may not always happen, but if the rhizome is buried in the substrate it usually rots. This kills the plants. Like all things in nature, there are exceptions, but I would not risk the plants. If the rhizome itself is at or above substrate level, fine, the true hairs can grow into the substrate with no issues, it is the rhizome that matters.

It may not always happen, but if the rhizome is buried in the substrate it usually rots. This kills the plants. Like all things in nature, there are exceptions, but I would not risk the plants. If the rhizome itself is at or above substrate level, fine, the true hairs can grow into the substrate with no issues, it is the rhizome that matters.
Ok,thanks. I’ll take the 8 new rhizomes out (from the 2 pots ) and redo tomorrow. Is this smaller variety more fragile than the bigger ones, because they’re looking good.

Ok,thanks. I’ll take the 8 new rhizomes out (from the 2 pots ) and redo tomorrow. Is this smaller variety more fragile than the bigger ones, because they’re looking good.

If these are actually Microsorum pteropus then they are the primary species. There are nursery varieties, and other species in nature, but i can't tell the differences as I have only ever seen the original and the "Windelov" cultivar developed I believe by Tropica Nurseries and named in honour of their founder, Holger Windelov.

The only Java the local fish store had is much taller, but looks the same. I’ll ask the ebay seller. He gave me a promo code for a discount on another order. I may get more.

I went to the lfs looking for Java ferns & nerites & was very surprised he only had the one plant & 4 snails. Bought all & ordered more from eBay.

They look good because they were grown perfect by the grower. If you keep moving them around on top of the no-no of burying the rhizome,they will start to deteriorate and its takes a long time for them to recover.
They love potassium. Either the liquid sold for aquarium plants..or tablets of potassium gluconate sold at a pharmacy or health food center.

What would my fish and axies think of potassium? I have lots of it, take 1 gm a day.

I will try thread & tie them to rocks tomorrow. I don’t understand the use of super glue. Thought it contained cyanide. Must be inert when dry?

Superglue contains cyanoacrylate rather than cyanide, and this is completely fish safe once it's dried. Many people use the gel rather than the liquid as it stays where you put it.
Having said that, I use sewing thread, it just needs someone to put their finger on the knot while to finish tying it off :)

Thanks! I will be using thread. Failed miserably with plastic reclaimed from other sources. What about dental floss, though, the broader flat tape kind?

Anything that can be securely tied would work. If the knot slips, the plant could float loose.

I find with sewing thread that it does rot after a while, but by then the roots have attached themselves to the decor. With something like dental floss, it shouldn't rot so you could either leave it there, or cut it away once the roots have attached.

I bought two pots on eBay. I was going place them container & all in tank & decided to reread Listing. Guy says tie them to something.View attachment 145937

1 POT OF MICROSORUM PTEROPUS JAVA FERN​

Originating from Asia the Microsorum pteropus is one of many different varieties of this species, each with their own leaf shape.
This plant is extremely undemanding and will grow best tied to rock or wood. Light isn't an issue as this plant will grow well in both low lighting and high lighting tanks.
You will receive one pot with 2-3 rhizomes in each pot. Please remove from pot before planting. Never bury the rhizome in the substrate. It's best to tie to either a stone or piece of driftwood.
Botanical nameMicrosorum pteropus Java Fern
Light demandlow
Difficultyeasy
UsageEpiphyte (grown on hardscape), Foreground, Midground
Growth rateslow
pH value5-7
Temperature68 - 86°F
Hardness1 - 14°dKH
Max. Size4-8"

Available as a potted plant as shown in the photos. You will receive 1 potted plant with about 12-15 leaves.
If its the shop im thinking of on ebay, thats where im also getting mine from! Whats the shop name?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back